• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

what's best to get into IB (1 Viewer)

MasterPUA

HSC
sum1fknhost said:
i don't really care. how about an economics and finance degree double? or should i just do an economics (honours).
ps i could do economics (honours) and a FINANCE but dunno is it atually worth it?
btw what do you do?
I can understand the nonchalance upon which you base your decision. You probably just want to do something respectable, something lucrative and something impressive. This is entirely expected and nothing to be ashamed about.

You really need to do some research at this point. There is a huge difference between roles in investment banks. There is also a huge difference between working in a bank and working in consulting or law. At the same time, there isn't a huge difference - all of these career paths involves choking yourself half to death in a zegna suit and sucking up to a douchebag boss.

My point is that we could go and tell you that you should do a Bcom and then go for a graduate position in operations at Rabobank. In the absence of research, you may think that this is a good decision. At some point in your professional life you will need to start making informed decisions for yourself. May as well start now.

HSC
To all the young guns just getting into their undergrad studies:

Please do all the reearch you can on the Investment Banker lifestyle....it is highly glamorous to students - falsely so I would suggest.

Itis very intense - financial modelling, meeting clients, presentations, working 16-24 hour days

for people just getting into Uni you shouldn't hone in on IB just because they make a lot of money - you'll probably end up hating the work after a couple of years!

I'd be willing to suggest that 10 times more people drop out of a 'great' IB job than make it to the top

Keep your options open

HipHop

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
It looks like the IBs are scaling down their operations/withdrawing from Sydney, eg TD Securities...so there will be significantly fewer IB grad jobs for everyone ^.^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)