• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

When to buy books? (1 Viewer)

dizzlemizzle

HSC
Should I be buying them now, or do lecturers tell us what ones to buy in the first week of uni?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You can buy them now: but wait.
The lecturer's will tell you in the first week: but wait
When you're three weeks in, and you think you may need it: wait
When you're five weeks and you know you'll need it: then buy it.

If you buy them too early, you can just end up with a bunch of books you'll never need or use.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Yep. Wait for a couple of weeks in for most subjects. Some lecturers or tutors will even admit the textbook isn't 100% neccesary and for some subjects rumours will spread around that the textbook is useless and to avoid it lol.

Oh, and if you are doing Integrating Business Perspectives this semester... Trust me, dont get it lol. I bought an older used one for like $20 but never even opened it and got a HD in the subject.

jebio23

HSC
N/A
^ you don't need IBP textbook or the Barron book either? then what was the final exam like?

builder2818

HSC
The lecturer explains in great detail everything you need to know about contract law for the final exam (IN WEEKS 12 & 13). He was the only good lecturer out of the many they have for that subject. Paul was his name. You can read the Barron text book on contract law but it is so detailed you really don't need it.....Considering the case you get for your exam is based off some idiot hurting themselves or something and suing another party - who will win the case etc, and on what grounds. Its a joke subject - worse than deciding to undertake a major in management (you may end up in some sh1tty position at UTS teaching a subject like IBP).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)