• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Which book would you recommend this holidays? (1 Viewer)

Kittikhun

HSC
With The Old Breed by Eugene B. Sldege.

Why?

Because this is the best non-fiction book I've ever read (2nd best book of any category for me, just after To Kill a Mockingbird)

The book is based upon the memoirs written by Eugene B. Sledge, a Marine of K/3/5, 1st Marine Division, and his experiences fighting on Peleliu and Okinawa. It's a fantastic and captivating book. Instead of going into that pompous bullshit that many writers go into in their literature, Sledge talks honestly and sincerely to you in the book. This is why With The Old Breed is so touching and moving. The book was also used in Ken Burn's documentary The War, a documentary that I also recommend for you to watch if you really get intot he book.

If you want more reviews click on the following link-

Amazon.com: With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa: E.B. Sledge: Books

and this one if you want to buy since you won't find it in many book stores.

with the old breed - The Nile AU

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Wow I am so up for this book! Thanks for the suggestion!

Kittikhun

HSC
Wow I am so up for this book! Thanks for the suggestion!
No worries, brother. I just hope more people will be like you and get a start on reading more books about the men and women of World War Two rather than voraciously consuming fantasy, fiction books about vampires and what not. We don't have much long left until those who sacrificed so much for us during that terrible time of suffering and heartache will be gone.

Last edited:

08er

HSC
sounds good but too bad they dont have it at A&R online yet

Kittikhun

HSC
You can order it from your local Dymocks or Borders store to get it shipped from the United States to you.:) Better yet, you could get a buddy from the states to buy it for you and post it here. That's a much cheaper process than getting ripped off at Borders or Dymocks.

08er

HSC
how much do they sell for + shipping?

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
Stephen King. The old stuff is much better than the new stuff.
Best ones are: "Salem's Lot", "It", "Shawshank Redemption", "Green Mile", "Carrie", "The Shining". There are other good ones, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.
If you want to get into a series, read "The Dark Tower" (the first one's subtitle is "The Gunslinger")

In my experience, you either like King or you don't. Try out one of his novels to see if you do. Start with "Shawshank Redemption", since it's only a novella.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
You can order it from your local Dymocks or Borders store to get it shipped from the United States to you.:) Better yet, you could get a buddy from the states to buy it for you and post it here. That's a much cheaper process than getting ripped off at Borders or Dymocks.
Or get it from bookdepository.co.uk. UK prices for books (often half those of Aussie books, even with the conversion rate), and free international shipping.

Booya.

Book recommendation? Suckers by Rose Shapiro.

Brin008

HSC
Anything by Oscar Wilde - The Importance of Being Earnest, the Picture of Dorian Gray

Oscar Wilde is a brilliant wirter, witty and his books are just utterly amazing!

Ice Goddess

HSC
No worries, brother. I just hope more people will be like you and get a start on reading more books about the men and women of World War Two rather than voraciously consuming fantasy, fiction books about vampires and what not. We don't have much long left until those who sacrificed so much for us during that terrible time of suffering and heartache will be gone.
what's wrong with fantasy/romance? Books are for escaping into an entertaining world of excitement and fun. Isn't the whole point to entertain yourself?

Anywaiis... "The Undomestic Goddess" by Sophie Kinsella is witty, romantic and realistic. PERFECT for the holidays. It would prob. interest females more thou, cos its about a successful lawyer who loses her career and for a certain reason (too long to explain while typing with gloves on) is put in a position where she has turned from Cambridge Graduate into a housekeeper. Its all about her coping with a diferent lifestyle, and of course she meets a hot guy while at it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)