• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Who's going to the opera house to see The Taming of the Shrew? (1 Viewer)

Schoey93

HSC
Hello all,

Please refer to the thread's title: a lot of Preliminary HSC (English Advanced) students studied the Taming of the Shrew for an area of study, such as Change or Conflict, others studied it for their modules.

What I'm interested in is, who liked it, and who's going to see the upcoming Bell Shakespeare company play, which has an all-female cast, at the Sydney Opera House Playhouse from 20th October to 21st November? Tickets start at $30... I'm going...anyone else? (I'm not offering to take you, if it sounds like that. :))

I'm currently reading the play and I am enjoying it immensely.

Your thoughts?

James

duckcowhybrid

HSC
We did Shaving of the Pubes (Taming of the Shrew) in Year 9 and went and watched it at the Sydney Opera House Playhouse (I think). it was either that or the Sydney Theatre Company Theatre at Neutral Bay. It was pretty good IMO but it did have a male cast. We went with School. I didn't really like the play at all. Then again I hate Shakespeare in general (As You Like It is godawful)

Schoey93

HSC
We did Shaving of the Pubes (Taming of the Shrew) in Year 9 and went and watched it at the Sydney Opera House Playhouse (I think). it was either that or the Sydney Theatre Company Theatre at Neutral Bay. It was pretty good IMO but it did have a male cast. We went with School. I didn't really like the play at all. Then again I hate Shakespeare in general (As You Like It is godawful)
The Taming of the Shrew is much better, from what people say, than As You Like It. BTW you go to Ruse, so they probably give you dry, lame, boring Shakespeare to make you study harder than if they had given you wet (lol), excellently written, interesting Shakespeare.

He's a great playwright, but there's only so much a man can write and still have it be good. It sounds to me that you expect every Shakespeare play to be 'godawful' just because TWO others are (in your opinion).

Try reading the classic (written for children in the mid-late 1800s) Tales from Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb. It condenses every (good) Shakespeare play into a simple English story of 10 - 25 pages each.

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
The Taming of the Shrew is much better, from what people say, than As You Like It. BTW you go to Ruse, so they probably give you dry, lame, boring Shakespeare to make you study harder than if they had given you wet (lol), excellently written, interesting Shakespeare.

He's a great playwright, but there's only so much a man can write and still have it be good. It sounds to me that you expect every Shakespeare play to be 'godawful' just because TWO others are (in your opinion).
What? No. Ahaha. They give us dry boring Shakespeare in senior years because we did all the, uh, wet interesting Shakespeare in our junior years. Like we did Macbeth in yr10, which is definitely my favorite Shakespeare play. And he's right, as you like it is terrible. But he's not judging on just the two plays, I'm guessing he'd be up to his 6th now if his classes studied a play a year like mine did.

I watched the same production [as Yash] and yeah, it was pretty good. It was interesting how they used the only female actress for Kat and everyone else was male to do the whole real/superficial relationship thing. I'm not sure how an all-female cast would work. Sounds a bit weird, but should be interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)