• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Word Limit , Does It Count ? (1 Viewer)

KazzaG

HSC
hey everyone, doing a legal essay ,word max 1000 would u think this is not enough , should i go over this limit and if so do u think it counts

i hate word limits you should be aloud to write freely

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
I've never had a teacher complain about stuff being too long. Obviously if you write 5000 words they'll probably raise it, but I'd think you'd be able to get away with 1200 or 1500.

SimonLee13

HSC
Usually theres a 10% rule before you get penalised. The whole purpose of a word limit is to ensure you get your points across succinctly. If you write more, that disadvantages other people who limit themselves.

munchiecrunchie

HSC
just decrease the font size and margins - it always works well.

having said that, if your teacher's really big on the word limit + picky, try and stay within 1300 words.

MelRGHS

HSC
Uni Grad
It should be 10% either way...at least that's what my teachers tell me. Has your teacher said anything about it? Or ask the head teacher they usually have the last say on everything :)

4unitfreak

HSC
Usually theres a 10% rule before you get penalised.
I think we have that at our school... IMO, 50/100 words over won't be frowned upon. Just try and limit yourself. I loathe word limits as well.

KazzaG

HSC
hey guys,,

legal by dis ed , it stupid he doesnt return phone calls due dates i have to always ring a lady , due of department who tells me

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Depends on the school really.
If your school isn't picky - then go ahead and cram in as much as you can.

If your school is like mine - teachers will not read anything over the limit (they do this by forcing us to use special margins and spacing to calculate the words).

ratcher0071

HSC
If you're writing a creative response (fancy words for a story), you should tell your teacher that they are not allowing you to think creatively. :p

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
ratcher0071 said:
If you're writing a creative response (fancy words for a story), you should tell your teacher that they are not allowing you to think creatively. :p
But technically they are... I mean they're allowing you to be as creative as you like.... just keep it under the word limit.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
KazzaG said:
hey everyone, doing a legal essay ,word max 1000 would u think this is not enough , should i go over this limit and if so do u think it counts

i hate word limits you should be aloud to write freely
Be careful with going overboard, you might make your class hate you. A guy in our class made his '7minute' presentation about 20 minutes long and got full marks, which most people thought was very unfair.

jellybelly59

HSC
my school is quite strict on the word limit.. 10% or else marks are deducted and they said they are even more strict on the word limit for the hsc because they want to see that you have the skill to synthesise the more important information instead of bombarding with everything

G

gmail92

From what my English teacher (head teacher) said, they actually calculate the number of words in an essay themselves.

What they do is they count the number of words in a line, and times that by the number of lines there are in the essay.

if the essay of importance, they will stop reading after so many words. But I guess it would be alright to go over a bit, say for a 1000 word essay maybe up to 100 extra words?

I think the word limit in a legal essay would be less important than one in an english essay so yehh

But then again, its better to be safe then sorry =]

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
It's 10% either way.
But there are ways you can format things on word to make it look like less..?

TunaFish

HSC
alex.leon said:
But there are ways you can format things on word to make it look like less..?
I've tried doing that, but it's never really worked for me.

Once I went over by 180 words in a Economics essay and an entire mark was taken off. Because it was out of 10, it did horrible things to my rank.
I hate word limits too, but they're necessary. When I was in year 10, people constantly were handing in 15 page assignments. There was this one girl in particular...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)