• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Worth learning implicit differentiation for 3 unit? (1 Viewer)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Are there questions in 3 unit exams you have seen where it is required? I don't think it's in the syllabus, but I heard it's good to know?

braintic

HSC
N/A
Are there questions in 3 unit exams you have seen where it is required? I don't think it's in the syllabus, but I heard it's good to know?
One example of where Implicit Differentiation is useful in Ext 1 is the Rates of Change question where a ladder is slipping down a wall. See part (a) of the last example before exercise 7E in Yr 12 Cambridge. It gives two methods, and the method involving implicit differentiation is much easier.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
There are no questions where it is explicitly required. Rather, it can be a handy tool at times.

If you're on top of things in 3U, by all means try to learn it.

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes if you use it for atleast 20% of the course it will make it so much more easier. e.g. rates of change as specified and others/ like finding gradients etc.

v1

HSC
not essential for higher marks, but it makes you sound smart when u say it

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think it is essential to know implicit differentiation, you are better off focusing on things that are explicitly examined in the syllabus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)