• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Would you eat Camel? (2 Viewers)

Lentern

HSC
I'd have no moral objection or nonsense like that but if it tasted bad or was bad for me then no.

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
I love serious discussions. I'm a serious person. However, this dickwad here isn't going to get what he/she/it expects from this thread.
First, he/she/it can stop answering my threads with their tasteless comments.

Anyway, I did say:

Ciao.
Shh adults are talking now. I realise you are pretty much out of your depth so it would be good if you stopped making a fool out of yourself k?

Just read some interesting stuff, apprently feral donkey populations in Australia are around 5 million, pigs around 25 million, horses are 300,000 and camels are 500,000 to 1 million.

What would people think about eating donkey and wild pig as well?

Lentern

HSC
Shh adults are talking now. I realise you are pretty much out of your depth so it would be good if you stopped making a fool out of yourself k?

Just read some interesting stuff, apprently feral donkey populations in Australia are around 5 million, pigs around 25 million, horses are 300,000 and camels are 500,000 to 1 million.

Same goes, although i doubt there is much nice meat on a feral donkey.

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
There would be more on a donkey than there is on any sheep.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I love serious discussions. I'm a serious person. However, this dickwad here isn't going to get what he/she/it expects from this thread.
First, he/she/it can stop answering my threads with their tasteless comments.

Anyway, I did say:

Ciao.
Tit for tat never got anyone anywhere..... just ask Israel-Palestine ;)

I would. Assuming it did't taste horrid. And unlike camels and roos I would support hunting wild donkeys and pigs to extinction.

cassieagill

HSC
Get chris from masterchef to teach australians how to cook it :) ...i'd eat it if it tasted nice

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I don't think the wild donkey thing works because to have something as a continuing food source (which it would need to be once you've built up a market for it) requires farming. It would just expand that specific problem.

I'd have no problem culling them and selling their meat at a low low price (solely to minimise expenditure, not for profit) to third world countries though since that wouldn't require building a market here.

The camel thing works better because camels are one of the few (only?) introduced species that's had almost no negative impact on the environment so breeding them in larger numbers while reducing the sheep and cow population (which has a very negative environmental impact) would do a lot for sustainability.

Very naive question: to what degree do horses still have a place in the farming industry? Can camels replace these? Having work animals which could be sold also as meat product would be cost efficient.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Hmmm.... the thought of eating it seems kind of distasteful, and if its that expensive i wouldnt buy it, but i guess when i was a kid i thought the same of kangaroo, which i now know is a delicious lean, moist meat and the kangaroo has nice soft paws so it doesnt damage the soil, and they are in plague numbers so i am doing the country a favour :)

eating pest animals is a great idea, lets do it.

X

xeuyrawp

I've had camel and it tastes fine. Even wild camel is fine, so I think it sounds like an interesting idea, especially given that you can get a lot of meat off a camel carcass.

Humans are vicious creatures indeed.
Yet, why restrict our source of meat to the common pork, beef, mutton or poultry for example?
We should allow ourselves to eat other animals as well.
Um... Do you realise that the human race isn't just made up of white westerners? We do eat other animals as well.

Edit:
I don't think the wild donkey thing works because to have something as a continuing food source (which it would need to be once you've built up a market for it) requires farming. It would just expand that specific problem.

I'd have no problem culling them and selling their meat at a low low price (solely to minimise expenditure, not for profit) to third world countries though since that wouldn't require building a market here.
What are you talking about...? What's wrong with having a market in killing and selling wild camels, if it's regulated?

Very naive question: to what degree do horses still have a place in the farming industry?
Depends on the place, on what's being farmed, and on the farmer. Most horses are used in animal farms to either round up or just for transport. Vehicles like motorbikes and quads are more common now, though.

Can camels replace these?
Not really. Horses are the ideal for farmers; they're fast and intelligent. Camels are a bit more difficult to mount and aren't agile at all. Also, they're always going to be the factor that horses are more attractive to have as a sort of pet, regardless of how they're used with work. Camels are horrible and smelly.

Having work animals which could be sold also as meat product would be cost efficient.
You don't train an animal for days and days only to then kill it. Meat is better from younger animals anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
What are you talking about...? What's wrong with having a market in killing and selling wild camels, if it's regulated?
Nah, someone mentioned using wild donkeys as a food source. I responded to that. I think it's beside the point to create a market for an animal that's more harmful, rather than less, to the environment. Using camels > using feral donkeys.

Depends on the place, on what's being farmed, and on the farmer. Most horses are used in animal farms to either round up or just for transport. Vehicles like motorbikes and quads are more common now, though.

Not really. Horses are the ideal for farmers; they're fast and intelligent. Camels are a bit more difficult to mount and aren't agile at all. Also, they're always going to be the factor that horses are more attractive to have as a sort of pet, regardless of how they're used with work. Camels are horrible and smelly.

You don't train an animal for days and days only to then kill it. Meat is better from younger animals anyway.
Fair enough.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i've had camel its ok ( i had it at Centre Point Tower) it was roasted hump. It's very fatty and chewy. I tried a bit of my friends plate. Its edible it tastes like venison. Thats my 2c.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Why wouldn't you eat camel? It's tasty, and good for the environment.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Woteva, deregulate, remove barriers to creating markets for the sale of all invasive species definitely, but no one's going to be lining up for camel steaks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)