• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

yet another prediction (1 Viewer)

Angelo

What will my UAI be? (The marks are my trial marks, ranks are cumulative ranks)

Maths Ext 1:       99% ranked 1/60 (raw)
Info Proc & Tech: 95% ranked 1/21 (moderated mark)
Chemistry:         92% ranked 3/68 (raw)
Maths Ext 2:       94% ranked 4/17 (raw)
Physics:             91% ranked 4/65 (raw)
English Adv:       80% ranked 22/140 (raw)

School:               Selective, ranked top 35.

How are u supposed to get better in english? I studied way hard, and still screwed up english. far out. any advice on how to improve english will be helpful too.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Wow. Those are pretty sweet marks.

I'm not sure which of your units won't count. Might be your IPT. 97+

My teacher keeps telling us to sit down and write a whole essay and get her to mark it and keep doing it until you will be familiar with almost all the different questions they can chuck at you. As well as trying to write fast so you can write more. Because simply, 40 minutes each essay is a very small amount.

Rahul

Dead Member
whoa!! amazing marks.:)

your looking at 98+ there.

as for english, my advice would be to get plenty of past papers and write the essays/responses and get your teacher to mark them. use time constraints and practice as often as you can.

Jeo

97.... 98????? ur kidding...... 99+ for sure......

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Originally posted by Jesh
97.... 98????? ur kidding...... 99+ for sure......
Of course... 99+
ohh and English...... dude dont worry... you go to a selective school (one behind mine :p) and if your ranked in the top 30, its pretty much a high band 5/ low-high band 6

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Does that mean going to a selective school means the tests are harder?

It seriously can't be that much harder than say CSSA papers if at all...

chunder

HSC
94% for ext2 maths as a raw mark???? You got to be joking!!! Is this one of those bullshit posts....if not.....tell us how you study. One also has to question the difficulty of the paper

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
My school sux and one guy got i think 98-100% in the 4U CSSA paper

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
The only problem would be english
since 2U of something ur getting 90+ in wont count, it would be wise to invest some more effort into pulling english perhaps within range of a Band 6
no doubt 99+ provided your assessment marks reflect the difficulty of the HSC exams themselves

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Hasn't anyone heard of happy marks - as in still raw but largely inflated? :D

Angelo

(The 99+ is really reassuring, so thanks... it gives me a real motivation to work extra hard for the HSC. :D )
That was *not* a bullsh*t post. I studied REALLY hard for the extension 2 exam :). I reckon our school exams were similar to HSC difficulty (It IS a selective school BTW). I need a UAI of 99.60+. Hence, I need more advice about english.

I have three questions regarding english:

1. I devoted more time to study for the eng adv trials than any other subject. So if it is not more effort, then what is it that improves english?

2. <B>How do I get band 6</B> in eng adv, even though my school mark is so crap? I was reading some posts in some of the other threads. This is what I picked up (please correct me where necessary):
The school sends in a mark, I will assume that they send in my raw average: 82%. I kick ass in the HSC and get 90%. But, the HSC mark is half of my exam and half of my school mark. Hence, I get (90 + 82) / 2 = 86. I gather that band 6 is 90. So, does this mean that to get band 6, i should get a mark of... 98 ?!?!

3. Section 2 in paper 1 is excruciatingly homosexual. How did people that aced this section approach it?

For anyone that got 90+ for eng adv in their HSC / trials, any non-cliche advice would be deeply appreciated.

P.S. What kind of raw marks should I aim for in my subjects to get 95% (HSC mark)?

hk31

HSC
woah....you're only ranked 4th in 4U maths...and u got 94%???

wtf? how high did the top 3 get???

anyway...99+ for sure!

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
With regard to english, you should truly be focussing on refining your essays, keeping in mind why you've been marked down in the past. Pester your teacher, continuously ask him or her exactly what else you needed to do in order to gain access to the top band - do this for every essay you write. You should write practise essays and give them to your teacher to mark and comment on (which any good teacher should be willing to do).

Read through the exemplar band 6 and borderline band 5/6 cut-off responses from the standards packages (now available on our site). Compare them to your own work and take note of the differences. They might be more analytical, more in-depth or might include more techniques, or might use those techniques in a more insightful manner.

Be proactive. Discover exactly what your short-comings are and then take pains to correct and improve upon them. You could even obtain the assistance of one or two friends and hold a small study session to brainstorm new ways through which your texts can be analysed. It's incredible what can be accomplished sometimes, and you know when you've hit something that's gold - it might even sound like a load of utter crap to you, but deep down inside you know that your english teacher is just going to love it. That's when you know you've got the good stuff.

It's not easy, but it's not impossible either. G'luck. :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Make sure you also study common formats of exam questions and the techniques involved such as composing a "Discussion between 2 people", a "Speech" or an "Interview".

I believe the Frontline one (if you are doing it) from the exemplar (on this site) is a magnificent piece of work. It's a speech and is by far the best one i've seen.

Left-ism

HSC
yeh, you gotta bring up english to a band 6 or as close as possible to band 6. Im assuming you want to do law, which is weird because youre not good at english.
But yeh, basically do what laz said and you should be ok.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)