• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

6 units maths? (1 Viewer)

bettina44

HSC
i checked out the units values of maths,maths ext 1 and maths ext 2, if you take up maths ext 2, that and maths ext 1 counts as 2 units each so does that mean you would be doing 6 units of maths?what's with that?

Sew2289

HSC
Extension 1 And Extension 2 are only worth 1 unit each. So Advanced (2 units)+Extension 1( 1 Unit) and Extension 2 (1 unit) =4 Units.

HSC
回复: Re: 6 units maths?

Sew2289 said:
Extension 1 And Extension 2 are only worth 1 unit each. So Advanced (2 units)+Extension 1( 1 Unit) and Extension 2 (1 unit) =4 Units.
no, if you doin ext 2 maths
you dont actually do adv maths
and then ext 1 and ext 2 both count as 2 units each

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: 回复: Re: 6 units maths?

Oh yeah. Six units of maths. :p

bettina44

HSC
i found this on the uac site:
How do Mathematics Extension courses work?You can study:
1. Mathematics which has a unit value of 2
2. Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1 which have unit values of 2 and 1 respectively
3. Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2 both of which have a unit value of 2.
If you complete Mathematics you can add Mathematics Extension 1, which has a unit value of 1, in a later year.
If you complete Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1 you can add Mathematics Extension 2 in a later year. In this case Mathematics is no longer available for your UAI and the unit value of each Extension course is 2.
If you enrol in Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2, and decide to drop the Extension 2 course, you must then complete the 2 unit Mathematics course. The unit values are 2 for Mathematics and 1 for Mathematics Extension 1.

i guess i answered my own question but that just poses another question,does that mean we don't have to do the mathematics course at all?

Last edited:

adidasboy

weee
HSC
bettina44 said:
i found this on the uac site:
How do Mathematics Extension courses work?You can study:
1. Mathematics which has a unit value of 2
2. Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1 which have unit values of 2 and 1 respectively
3. Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2 both of which have a unit value of 2.
If you complete Mathematics you can add Mathematics Extension 1, which has a unit value of 1, in a later year.
If you complete Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1 you can add Mathematics Extension 2 in a later year. In this case Mathematics is no longer available for your UAI and the unit value of each Extension course is 2.
If you enrol in Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2, and decide to drop the Extension 2 course, you must then complete the 2 unit Mathematics course. The unit values are 2 for Mathematics and 1 for Mathematics Extension 1.

i guess i answered my own question but that just poses another question,does that mean we don't have to do the mathematics course at all?
yes, it's not compulsory lol..
how can you not know this? =="

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: 6 units maths?

tacogym27101990 said:
no, if you doin ext 2 maths
you dont actually do adv maths
and then ext 1 and ext 2 both count as 2 units each
correct.

rosypink

HSC
eekk *maths = hell*

doing ext. maths atm..far out!!! i hate it - and im going to go back to 2unit (advanced) soon yay =)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Extension1 and 2 count as two units because if a person does Extension 2 the units for Mathematics don't count.

Cerry

HSC
The way that it works is:
In year 11, you can do General Maths or Advanced maths (both 2 units). If you're doing advanced, you can then do extension 1, which is 1 unit. In year 12, if you've done ext 1, you can also pick up ext 2, which is 1 unit. You therefore have 4 units of maths.
However - if you're doing ext 2, you get an automatic 100% in advanced. You don't sit the exams, or do the assessments, and at my school, you don't even have to go to classes when you don't feel like it. It's reccommended you do though, because that way you learn the material, which you may need to know at some point (like if you drop ext 2). So advanced is going to be counted in you 10 best units.

bv

HSC
um this is a bit off the topic but is ext 2 really hard?
i just wanna no how most people are going with it.
i havent even started ext 1 course (doing it next yr instead coz were accelerating adv maths)
but i dunno whether or not to pick up ext 2.

bv

HSC
Apey MatrixElf said:
Maths is odd.
It makes ppl go crazy.
If you want proof, visit my school!!
:p
lol i agree with you.
but i only go crazy coz its like the only one i care about
everything else is annoying me lately. esp english..grr
maths is like the one wierd subject i like understand y an ansa is wrong or right.
if that makes sense?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
bv said:
um this is a bit off the topic but is ext 2 really hard?
i just wanna no how most people are going with it.
i havent even started ext 1 course (doing it next yr instead coz were accelerating adv maths)
but i dunno whether or not to pick up ext 2.
Extension 2 is extremely hard. That is why it is one of the top scaling subjects.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
adidasboy said:
yes, it's not compulsory lol..
how can you not know this? =="

You still need to do the Mathematics course.

beve

Jesus
HSC
I couldn't do it; it's too much of one subject. I have worries about taking on Extension 2 English because I think I might lose motivation by doing so much english.

But oh well, 'tis my strongest subject.

Unlike Extension 1 Maths. Unless maths comes naturally to you, and you can be absoloutely sure of yourself in your workings, etc, stick with Advanced math.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Don't worry. You have half a year to see how you go.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Ok so if you do extension 2 maths then Extension 1 and Extension 2 are each worth 2 units.
So you dont do advanced maths at all.... Is that right??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)