• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

America Haters Unite!! (1 Viewer)

Fry

just wanna point out that America is NOT the richest nation in the world. they're actually 10th on the list and Luxembourg, Switzerland and Japan are the top 3. therefore, it makes sense that Japan donated so much money and rightfully so.

waterfowl

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
we should (given our close proximity, closer than that of new zealand) be great friends, hopefully that might be one of the good things to come out of this disaster.
Well if we're not greater friends after this I will be surprised.
"Yes thank you for the billion dollar aid package, but we feel that it would not be profitable for us to be allied so closely with you"

Jesus!

Jeebus
HSC
N/A
waterfowl said:
Well if we're not greater friends after this I will be surprised.
"Yes thank you for the billion dollar aid package, but we feel that it would not be profitable for us to be allied so closely with you"

...people seem to forget that it is a loan. Thats if anyone bothered to look at the fine print.

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Fry said:
just wanna point out that America is NOT the richest nation in the world. they're actually 10th on the list and Luxembourg, Switzerland and Japan are the top 3. therefore, it makes sense that Japan donated so much money and rightfully so.
The US has the most money. Highest GDP equals most money. We are not talking average income per person.

Gooba

HSC
Beh, Germany OWES everyone money after WW1. Hitler just said "nuts to everyone" and placed the invoice at the bottom of his IN basket, never to see the light of day again

Generator

HSC
N/A
It would be great if most people recognised that the European states tend to have more of an agenda than the Yanks when it comes to instances such as this. I don't any 'evidence' for this claim, but it should be quite clear that this is the case... At least the world knows where it stands when it comes to the US.

I may not love the 'American way' of today, but at the same time at least I can see the merit in the ideas, if not the actual programmes. The amount donated (or loaned) should not be the issue, rather it's the nature of the assistance. Till I see another state sending in its troops (they are there, and it should not matter whether they were heading somewhere else as many claim) or other forms of physical/immediate aid, I can see no reason to criticise the Yanks for their actions, even if if they were 'slow' off the mark.

PaulST

HSC
Welcome to the new age of racism. The 2005 definition of the word ‘racism’ “Saying anything negative towards any group or race, unless they are America” If they’re Yanks you an bag the crap out of them and it’s all OK.
Sad.

We have to remember guys that American hasn’t only offered money, but also its army. There is an aircraft carrier and several other ships in the area (all of which would cost several million dollars a day to operate) along with hundreds or soldiers on the islands helping.
It’s the same with Australia.

Hopefully this whole even will bring the world a little closer together and show the Indonesian people that America and Australia don’t hate them.

Fry

Bone577 said:
The US has the most money. Highest GDP equals most money. We are not talking average income per person.
i was talking about the GDP, but damn my inferior resources! i just checked on the net and America came second while Lumembourg is still first.

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Fry said:
i was talking about the GDP, but damn my inferior resources! i just checked on the net and America came second while Lumembourg is still first.
No, America is number 1. I don't see how Luxemburg can even come close. With a total population of 400,000 it is a pretty ludicrous proposition.

waterfowl

HSC
PaulST said:
Welcome to the new age of racism. The 2005 definition of the word ‘racism’ “Saying anything negative towards any group or race, unless they are America” If they’re Yanks you an bag the crap out of them and it’s all OK.
Sad.
Peoples negative comments towards America, are aimed at the government of the USA, not the whole country and its people. I thought most people understood that. Of course we are going to "bag the crap" out of the US govt. we do it to our own and everyone elses all the time! It's called democracy.

We have to remember guys that American hasn’t only offered money, but also its army. There is an aircraft carrier and several other ships in the area (all of which would cost several million dollars a day to operate) along with hundreds or soldiers on the islands helping.
It’s the same with Australia.
I think most countries have offered their armies also. I mean India has sent some of their military helicopters to Indonesia or Thailand, even though they themselves were hit by the disaster. And I'm sure the US (government!) can spare more military hardware and personnel than India.

PaulST

HSC
Bone577 said:
No, America is number 1. I don't see how Luxemburg can even come close. With a total population of 400,000 it is a pretty ludicrous proposition.
But those 400,000 people are very rich.

Here's the scenario. 100 people with $10,000 in their bank account. 4 people with $1,000,000 in their bank account. Therefore, the latter group is richer even though there are less.

I think most countries have offered their armies also. I mean India has sent some of their military helicopters to Indonesia or Thailand, even though they themselves were hit by the disaster. And I'm sure the US (government!) can spare more military hardware and personnel than India.
You are correct, there are many armies assisting the repair effort, although no others to the extent of the USA. I don't see any French aircraft carriers. :) China has a larger army that the USA I believe, why aren't they copping it from everyone?

Peoples negative comments towards America, are aimed at the government of the USA, not the whole country and its people. I thought most people understood that. Of course we are going to "bag the crap" out of the US govt. we do it to our own and everyone elses all the time! It's called democracy.
I must admit that many so called "left-wing" people I know cringe at the sign of an American accent. About us bagging the crap out of our governments. I wouldn't call it democracy specifically, more so teenagers going through puberty and rebellious stages and bagging anything and everything. One can only hope that they grow out of the anti-establishment stage, or we're in big trouble as a nation. (I'm not aiming that at you waterfowl either, but teenagers/young adults in general.)
When I see an American flag being burnt in Melbourne, that's an attack on the whole USA and not just the President. Just like when an Aussie flag was burnt in Melbourne in protest. It should be a crime to burn the flag (the same flag that represents us all and the people who've died for it), but that's just my opinion.

Bone577

HSC
N/A
PaulST said:
But those 400,000 people are very rich.

Here's the scenario. 100 people with $10,000 in their bank account. 4 people with $1,000,000 in their bank account. Therefore, the latter group is richer even though there are less.

Look, GDP = Gross Domestic Product that is "The total market value of all the goods and services produced within the borders of a nation during a specified period." - Dictionary.com

You are saying to me, that Luxemburg, with a population of 400,000 has a greater total market value, that is produces more goods and services within its borders within a specified period than the US, with its population of 250,000,000. So the people in Luxemburg must be 625 times more productive apparently. Every day a person in Luxemburg works is the equivelant of 625 American working days. I've heard Americans are lazy and fat, but that is a bit too much.

Last edited:

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Someone's obviously confusing GDP with GDP per capita...
I think so.

I wouldn't of rubbed it in soo much but I really thought it would be nice to do the math on it, just so everyone could see the implications.

Bone577

HSC
N/A
PaulST said:
It should be a crime to burn the flag (the same flag that represents us all and the people who've died for it), but that's just my opinion.

Have you seen that episode of Simpsons, with the "amendment to be" cartoon in it? That was a satire, it pointed out the ludicrousness (is that a word) of illegalising flag burning among other things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)