• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Do you have objections to eating farmed dolphin/monkeys etc (1 Viewer)

Do you have objections to eating farmed dolphin/monkey etc

• Total voters

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Unless I want to go on disagreeable supplements for the rest of my life, I do. I'm an omnivore. My digestive system is designed to eat meat. I believe we have been over this many times.
Adult humans don't need to eat meat to survive

Source: Burndie, Die 2009, community.boredofstudies.org

I don't know that much about nutrition, but he seemed to and was fairly adamant it was fine. I don't recall the discussion ending with his shaming.

I've thought a bit about mulesing. Surely they could use an anesthetic, and then there would be no problem? There is unnecessary suffering. Anesthetic is not used, presumably because it is not economical (though I may be wrong, is there another reason)?

Disregarding morality for economic reasons is abhorrent. It can in no way be ethically justified as farming animals with the least possible suffering.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Lol I have no idea how you guys import serious moral rights into beasts. It can only be a logical corruption derived from rejecting God; another relativistic curse which leads you away from the true path.
Have we had a serious discussion of Rights theory before? Let's wiki that shit Iron

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Adult humans don't need to eat meat to survive

Source: Burndie, Die 2009, community.boredofstudies.org

I don't know that much about nutrition, but he seemed to and was fairly adamant it was fine. I don't recall the discussion ending with his shaming.
As I said, I would be fine not eating meat if and only if I went on a bazillion supplements, which are unpleasant (particularly iron), and only because I am an adult.

I've thought a bit about mulesing. Surely they could use an anesthetic, and then there would be no problem? There is unnecessary suffering. Anesthetic is not used, presumably because it is not economical (though I may be wrong, is there another reason)?
I'm pretty sure they do have to use some form of numbing agent. They don't take a knife to the sheep's behind and just start cutting; more sheep would die from pain and shock than would be saved from flystrike if that was the case, yeah?

Disregarding morality for economic reasons is abhorrent. It can in no way be ethically justified as farming animals with the least possible suffering.
In no way do I disagree with this.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
I guess i have no serious objections to other people farming and eating them. Its personally distasteful to me, but i cant think of any logical reasons why others shouldnt eat them.

niloony

HSC
Well dolphins are high up the food chain so their heavy metal levels would be fairly high so i wouldn't support people eating them on those grounds.

As long as no one eats the brains of monkeys i don't see any reason why they couldn't be eaten. Though i have no idea how one could mass produce monkeys and not risk diseases developing which can jump from them to humans.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Well dolphins are high up the food chain so their heavy metal levels would be fairly high so i wouldn't support people eating them on those grounds.
Yep. Hugely contaminated with mercury, PCBs, pesticides, etc.

As long as no one eats the brains of monkeys i don't see any reason why they couldn't be eaten. Though i have no idea how one could mass produce monkeys and not risk diseases developing which can jump from them to humans.
What's the reasoning behind this? Monkey brains is a delicacy in countries like China.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Yep. Hugely contaminated with mercury, PCBs, pesticides, etc.

What's the reasoning behind this? Monkey brains is a delicacy in countries like China.
Its believed HIV originated from a strain of monkey disease in africa.

Azarnakumar

Banned
HSC
As I said, I would be fine not eating meat if and only if I went on a bazillion supplements, which are unpleasant (particularly iron), and only because I am an adult.

I'm pretty sure they do have to use some form of numbing agent. They don't take a knife to the sheep's behind and just start cutting; more sheep would die from pain and shock than would be saved from flystrike if that was the case, yeah?

In no way do I disagree with this.
hehe no well actually the usual practice is to just cut the skin off with a pair of shears. I have mulesed probably like 15000 lambs and i have never seen one die from pain and they dont lose any (much) blood.

okay bro ill make it really simple just 4 u

they are farmed dolphins in a special lake with no heavy metals
with special farmed food (idk like little fish that are specially bred up in special lakes with low heavy metals just 2 be dolphin food) that is tested to ensure low levels of heavy metals
therefore the resulting dolphins will not have high amounts of heavy metals

okay

so hypothetically

heavy metal i not an issue

k?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
hehe no well actually the usual practice is to just cut the skin off with a pair of shears. I have mulesed probably like 15000 lambs and i have never seen one die from pain and they dont lose any (much) blood.
Then I stand corrected - in which case, where is the issue?

okay bro ill make it really simple just 4 u

they are farmed dolphins in a special lake with no heavy metals
with special farmed food (idk like little fish that are specially bred up in special lakes with low heavy metals just 2 be dolphin food) that is tested to ensure low levels of heavy metals
therefore the resulting dolphins will not have high amounts of heavy metals

okay

so hypothetically

heavy metal i not an issue

k?
You can't just remove the heavy metal issue, even in circumstances such as this. The fish you'd feed a dolphin would have to itself be fed on other fish, and those on other fish, which unless you have a bazillion fish farms somewhere, there's going to be wild-caught fish and therefore biomagnification somewhere in the chain.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Its believed HIV originated from a strain of monkey disease in africa.
...and eating brains is somehow different to eating the flesh?

And to correct you, HIV is a mutated form of SIV or Simian Immunodeficiency Virus, which we most likely got from chimpanzees and gorillas, not lower-order monkeys.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I stand corrected, but if the disease was present in the blood, both brain and flesh would contain it.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I stand corrected, but if the disease was present in the blood, both brain and flesh would contain it.
Yes, but it's very unlikely that it would be present in cooked flesh. The virus likely jumped species via blood transmission during the hunting process, not eating the meat itself.

People have been eating bushmeat for a very long time, and it's only jumped a few times. The risk is quite low.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Touché.

+Rep to you.

Fuck i have spread rep for everyone.

pman

Banned
HSC
Yes, but it's very unlikely that it would be present in cooked flesh. The virus likely jumped species via blood transmission during the hunting process, not eating the meat itself.

People have been eating bushmeat for a very long time, and it's only jumped a few times. The risk is quite low.
Actually, it's beleived by some parties that HIV may have started due to beastiality.

funk1234

HSC
i do not eat anything that has been alive apart from plants, i think its sick that people want to eat things that used to have a life, but that is just my opinion, i am not trying to turn you all vego

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)