• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

engineering hours (1 Viewer)

littleman

HSC
im looking at doing mech. engineering or that combied with biz next year and i was wondering how many hours you have lectures and things for a week. i asked my careers teacher to find out but he is totally incapable and could not organise beer in a pub. also ig u think there is anything i should know or find out specifically about could you please tell me.
thanx

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
24+ hours, combining it will add 2 years or so, make sure you nail eng studies + physics and 3 unit maths at school, UAI > 80 to be safe

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I have 23 hours at USYD.

I don't know about UNCLE but combining will probably only add a year but you will be restricted to one major.

It will also probably drop your hours to about 20 a week.

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
Xayma said:
I have 23 hours at USYD.

I don't know about UNCLE but combining will probably only add a year but you will be restricted to one major.

It will also probably drop your hours to about 20 a week.

yes, yes, and yes. I'm 3rd year with ~19 hours a week down from 24ish for the first 1.5 years

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
mrbassman said:
24+ hours, combining it will add 2 years or so, make sure you nail eng studies + physics and 3 unit maths at school, UAI > 80 to be safe
Combined engineers need a uai of 90

slip

HSC
as jumb said combined engineering needs uai >90 (this year it was 90.15) and as it is a double degree any bonus point if there still going dont apply.

and im doing combined enginering with business and thats 20hrs a week(after trimming an un-needed workshop and a tut that didnt go ahead).

yeh and it will be a 5 year degree full time.

littleman

HSC
i know u need 90 to do combined mech eng./biz and also the 5 years thing sounds pretty crappy.

does anyone know about the industry sponsored thing? I've been told its good to get into as you get real-world knowledge to combine with your theoretical knowledge. also need >90 to do this

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
littleman said:
i know u need 90 to do combined mech eng./biz and also the 5 years thing sounds pretty crappy.

does anyone know about the industry sponsored thing? I've been told its good to get into as you get real-world knowledge to combine with your theoretical knowledge. also need >90 to do this

Uni is a lot better than working in the "real world" so enjoy the extra year at uni. I know i will :D

Read through this for more information on industry supported positions.

slip

HSC
littleman said:

if yoru talking about uniss scholarships they add an extra year to your degree. thus you would be at uni 6 yrs, 1 year full time work at your sponsors company. you get about $40 000 over 6 yrs and you cant defer at all. 1st year out most engineering earn around $40 000, and depending on type of engineering i have heard jobs are as good as 8 per graduate if your willing to travel.

it is not purely uai, it is also interview and any other skills you may have that impress companies.

i didnt go for this scholarship because the money earnt of 6yrs is equvilant and not doing that scholarship means i can defer if i choose to travel or work for a year. plus a good amount of expirence is already structured into the degree, and a degree at newcastle in engineering compares favourably to other universities when job seeking.

but it all depends on your finicial situation and what you want to do...

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
Let x = engineering hours (25)
Let y = business hours (16)

Number of hours = (x +y)/2

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
that formula in inaccurate but a good guide, it oes in alterbnate years en/business

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
mrbassman said:
that formula in inaccurate but a good guide, it oes in alterbnate years en/business

Looks like you were posting drunk :D....who would even think of doing that :p

Last edited:

slip

HSC
mrbassman said:
no it doesnt

you dont do options for engineering for a start, you do a business course

so 3 eng and 1 business for thhe first year

and then you can still mix it around from there

seeing as you no longer do the options i cant see how you would manage to do 4 subject of eng a semester as you will only have 3 preceeding course before it, thus allowing you to only do 3 higher level subjects i think....

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
slip said:
no it doesnt

you dont do options for engineering for a start, you do a business course

so 3 eng and 1 business for thhe first year

and then you can still mix it around from there

seeing as you no longer do the options i cant see how you would manage to do 4 subject of eng a semester as you will only have 3 preceeding course before it, thus allowing you to only do 3 higher level subjects i think....
http://ccdb.newcastle.edu.au/courseinfo/displayprogram.cfm?docid=106&FOS=6&UGPG=13

you can do eng subjects whenever you like, as long as you have either done / are doing the assumed knowledge course.

what i meant was that in the first 2 years it is mostly mech subjects then the ratio swaps, thats what i have seen with a friend doing elec/bus. oh and 90 units per year in year 2 and three

oh and what is an option?? and mech has different streams like materials/mechanics(vectors)/sensors(elec)/maths/phyics, so it is quite easy to do 4 mech per sem while keeping in line with prerequisites

Last edited:

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
evilc said:
Looks like you were posting drunk :D....who would even think of doing that :p
we had bad taste party, $1 beers, $2 spirit mixers

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
mrbassman said:
we had bad taste party, $1 beers, $2 spirit mixers

I just had goon and green cordial and lots of beer in town. Did you go out?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)