• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How much work is Year 12? (1 Viewer)

Protract

HSC
I'm only in Year 10, and you would think I shouldn't worry about this now but I do, because time goes by very quickly, and in roughly a year and 3 months I will be an HSC student. I remember last July/August, and I cannot believe how recent it feels and it's already been a year. How much work is it?? Or does it depend on your subjects? Also aren't trial HSC exams just practice tests? Do they go towards anything?? I haven't been bothered studying for the SC because I find it sooo easy, so I've just been spending my time researching on my subjects, looking at past papers of them, and on this forum.

So how work is year 12? At least 2 hours a day on each subject???

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
HSC isn't a lot of work, it's just being consistent, and doing the work, dont prolong it, dont procrastinate...

Dont study with hours, set yourself goals and complete them, they can be daily goals, weekly goals, etc... and keep the revision constant, try and study ahead of the class if you can... that way when you learn it in school it's just revision, plus you can seem smart in front of everyone else which is a bonus.

Do lots of past papers, once you learn all the content, this is key to doing well.

Everything in the HSC counts, every exam you do will count, some more, some less, typically trials count 25-50% depending on your school and subjects, so they're not just practice tests, you have year 11 to practice, nothing in year 11 counts... but this doesn't mean you shouldn't study or try in year 11, this is the best time to develop good habits and then continue them in year 12.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
heh?? hell no. that might just get you an atar above 80. year 12 is very serious business.
stop your sarcasm, this is no place to be trolling a poor year 10 student who knows nothing about hsc.

2 hours each day done right is plenty for a good atar

Protract

HSC
Yeah, sometimes I think of not getting an ATAR. I mean, it so much stress; trying to make the perfect exam, making sure it is better than 90% of your cohort, etc, etc. Instead just get into uni some other way, but then I realize I HAVE to get an ATAR. I'm so worried about Year 12; there will be no time to go on facebook, or relax and play games, or listen to music. It's going to be so hard to break all those habits, I guess I will use Year 11 as a building block.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Use year 11 as I am at the moment.

Try different methods, experiement a bit

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, sometimes I think of not getting an ATAR. I mean, it so much stress; trying to make the perfect exam, making sure it is better than 90% of your cohort, etc, etc. Instead just get into uni some other way, but then I realize I HAVE to get an ATAR. I'm so worried about Year 12; there will be no time to go on facebook, or relax and play games, or listen to music. It's going to be so hard to break all those habits, I guess I will use Year 11 as a building block.
Nah, you dont have to sacrifice anything, just limit it and control yourself... recreation is important

Make a timetable and follow it, and stop worrying, use year 11 wisely =)

Protract

HSC
So 2 hours each day on each subject (so basically ten hours a day) of study....??

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey Yr10er,

First off, don't stress about the SC exams, they are really easy and it more beneficial for your education to be thinking ahead of what subjects you are going to pick.

I don't want to scare you, but picking a good set of subjects FOR YOU for yr 11 is the best starting block you can have. You want to pick subjects that are your best ones, but also what will INTEREST you so you study. Don't freak out though, you can change during the first few weeks of yr 11 and don't be afraid to seize that opportunity. Also you can modify your set a little in Yr 12 by dropping and/or picking up Extensions (depending on your subjects and units).

Don't stress for Yr 11, it is not quite as big as transition from Yr 10 as you think. The good thing about Yr 11 is it's normally more clear what they expect you to know, following the syllabus dotpoints and such. But Yr 12 is a BIG step from Yr 11, particularly if you seek a 90+ ATAR. You will need to consistently study, so study most days. Cramming should not be heavily relied on pre exams. A decent quantity of study is required, but the QUALITY is very important too. If you have time management, you will still be able to go on facebook, listen to music and all that other stuff! HSC doesn't consume your whole life :p Just a nasty chunk.

Oh and the point of workload depending on subjects, yes I would say it's true some subjects are more workload. But the personal workload of a subject for you is also influenced by your natural affinity for it. However, the type of workload differs greatly in subjects. Obviously some subjects are content heavy, some are essay intensive, some are very practically orientated etc.

Feel free to shoot me a PM any time if you have any questions :) Especially if you want to know about any of the subjects I do or any other school advice.

Protract

HSC
I will be happy with anything with an ATAR of about 70 or above, just so I can get into something like Primary School Teaching. It's the best job ever; my mom does it. She sats you can never be out of work, and teaching a Kindergarten or Year 1 class when all you have to teach is like 2 plus 2 is like a break. I don't have high expectations; I don't expect to get into medicine or law or any of that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)