• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Indonesian embassy defends death penalty (1 Viewer)

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
13:49 AEST Sat Apr 30 2005
AAP
Indonesia is standing by its right to impose a possible death penalty on nine Australians arrested in Bali for alleged drug smuggling.

It said drugs were a major problem in Indonesia and had a great impact on the Indonesian people, especially those of the younger generation.

"Hundreds of thousands of people have fallen victim to drug misuse," a statement from the Indonesian embassy in Canberra said.

"Therefore the Indonesian government has always enforced stern action against those involved in drug smuggling.

"Article 82 of Indonesia's Law No 22 of 1997 on drugs promulgates the death sentence on those involved in the horrendous crime of drug smuggling."

The statement referred to the arrest of the nine Australians in Bali on April 17 for alleged involvement in heroin smuggling.
More @ http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=19834

Interested in your reactions to this.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Well, I think it should be noted that when you start killing a neighbouring country's people for what that country doesn't see as a "major" crime, you're on shaky ground. I think since it is drugs, they will probably get away with the death penalty if they impose it, though.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I think the death penalty is great. I also think the fact that they do it by firing squad is great too because the needle thing they do in the US is too soft. In fact, for very serious crimes I wouldn't disagree with bringing back hanging or even worse alternatives.

I would like to see the death penalty introduced into Australia for rape, murder, and serious crimes against children because although I don't particularly like kids anyone who hurts them deserves to die. I wouldn't disagree with a death penalty for large drug offenses. Australia is way too soft on criminals and it's about time something was done about it.

ahmad

HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
I think the death penalty is great. I also think the fact that they do it by firing squad is great too because the needle thing they do in the US is too soft. In fact, for very serious crimes I wouldn't disagree with bringing back hanging or even worse alternatives.

I would like to see the death penalty introduced into Australia for rape, murder, and serious crimes against children because although I don't particularly like kids anyone who hurts them deserves to die. I wouldn't disagree with a death penalty for large drug offenses. Australia is way too soft on criminals and it's about time something was done about it.
i agree.........this way more of these crimes can be prevented.........

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:

What do u suggest like decapitation?!?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Korn said:
What do u suggest like decapitation?!?
For really bad stuff like gang rape, or sexual abuse of children (which I think is worse than murder because the victims will suffer for the rest of their lives) I would suggest something that would cause lots of pain before death, like stoning or crucifiction.

But I know that would not be very acceptable for the majority of people, although it should be and would be if they were the victims of these crimes. So what I would suggest is not really feasible. But I would settle for at least a death penalty at all, even if it was soft like the lethal injection is.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
The *only* problem with the death penalty (not saying I agree or disgree) is reaching that little point of beyond reasonable doubt.... there's been many instances of people put to death for crimes they did not commit. I'll leave it up to the law students here, but how often can you be 100% sure someone did something?

ahmad

HSC
N/A
Josie said:
The *only* problem with the death penalty (not saying I agree or disgree) is reaching that little point of beyond reasonable doubt.... there's been many instances of people put to death for crimes they did not commit. I'll leave it up to the law students here, but how often can you be 100% sure someone did something?
It is quiet obvious they did commit the crime, but the circumstances are different..............

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Josie said:
Thats a major problem in the US. I am always hearing of convictions on circumstancial evidence. It's a joke. In my opinion the general public is not equipt to make the right decisions in many cases. Often they are obviously basing their decision on emotions and not the evidence although nothing ever seems to be done about it.

I think the best way to deal with important cases and when the death penalty might be used is to have a panel of 3-5 judges act as the jury. Although this would involve huge changes to the current legal system, so it's not exactly feasible.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
ahmad said:
It is quiet obvious they did commit the crime, but the circumstances are different..............
Yeah, but I'm not just talking about this case- capital punishment in general.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
zahid said:
man you have to stop ".........................." doing this.
Hahahahahaa, another desi-fight...bastards.
_______

I really don't think that the death penalty should be imposed:

- Not in-line with community expectations
- Inhumane, and
- It doesn't give a possibility of re-trial if new evidence is found after the execution.

However, I don't even think that's the real failing of the Indonesian Justice System. A couple of nights ago, I heard the Chief Judge of Schapelle's case say: "If she has proven herself innocent, she will be so."

Yes, the rule of law is working perfectly in Indonesia.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Argonaut said:
Only two of the eight guns used in a firing squad are actually laoded with live ammunition. The rest simply contain blanks, and none of the shooters ever actually know what their gun is loaded with. This is so that it can't be told who fired the fatal shot and so they're protected from revenge attacks (eg, family of executed tried to kill executor).
I knew that. It's a good idea.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
If I was gonna get revenge, I'd go for ALL their asses, who cares about the guys shooting blanks (heh)

shortie_689

HSC
I hate the death penalty I honestly do its the most ridiculous sentence a person could had down...

Have you realised that most people who are criminals say "I would rather die than spend my life in prison" why do u think serial killers end up turnin the gun on themselves...

Honestly if a person has done such a hanes crime I feel they should spend life in prison so that they have to live an deal with the consequences...

The only people that seem to not want the death sentence are the innocent an the ones that want it are the guilty

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
shortie_689 said:
I hate the death penalty I honestly do its the most ridiculous sentence a person could had down...

Have you realised that most people who are criminals say "I would rather die than spend my life in prison" why do u think serial killers end up turnin the gun on themselves...

Honestly if a person has done such a hanes crime I feel they should spend life in prison so that they have to live an deal with the consequences...

The only people that seem to not want the death sentence are the innocent an the ones that want it are the guilty
Yeah the prison life of prisoners being bitches would be worse then death I suppose

iamsickofyear12

HSC
shortie_689 said:

That is why I don't agree with the way they do it in the US. The letham injection is too soft. It needs to be something painful.

jennylim

HSC
lol...so the death penalty isn't harsh enough?? can't say i'm a fan of it myself...death is just far too final. like if they're found innocent later there's nothing u can do, but u can release someone from prison.

and although i have my qualms about the indonesian guilty-unless-you-can-prove-yourself-innocent-beyond-all-reasonable-doubt system, we do have to respect it. that's what works for them, that's what they like, that's what they do. and if australia wants any hope of international diplomatic relations with indonesia they should respect the justice system and not attempt to impose their own. this issue is too minor for australia to risk her asian relations, i feel...

and people who smuggle drugs should be aware of the death penalty anyway - especially the bali 9, what were they doing, hiding under a rock during the schapelle corby fiasco? and about their families being threatened with death - that was only IN BALI when they refused to do it...not in AUSTRALIA when they chose to do it in the first place. they really are very very very stupid...and while i don't feel that stupidity deserves death and it wouldn't in aussie, they should face the consequences in indonesia.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)