• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Indonesian embassy defends death penalty (1 Viewer)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
jennylim said:
lol...so the death penalty isn't harsh enough?? can't say i'm a fan of it myself...death is just far too final. like if they're found innocent later there's nothing u can do, but u can release someone from prison.
Thats why I would only ever recommend the dealth penalty when you know the person definately committed the crime.

jennylim

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Thats why I would only ever recommend the dealth penalty when you know the person definately committed the crime.
fair enough...and i spose in a really cynical heartless way you could say it saves the state a lot of money, too. honestly so much money from the taxpayer is used to support these delinquents/murderers/fraudsters/rapists/etc.

but in the case of these ppl...they DEFINITELY did commit the crime...the point is, to what extent are they culpable and is the crime even deserving of capital punishment? they're only mules after all, not the big-fish smugglers.

walrusbear

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I think the death penalty is great. I also think the fact that they do it by firing squad is great too because the needle thing they do in the US is too soft. In fact, for very serious crimes I wouldn't disagree with bringing back hanging or even worse alternatives.

I would like to see the death penalty introduced into Australia for rape, murder, and serious crimes against children because although I don't particularly like kids anyone who hurts them deserves to die. I wouldn't disagree with a death penalty for large drug offenses. Australia is way too soft on criminals and it's about time something was done about it.
yeah killing people achieves heaps!

spell check

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
do you realise how stupid that is?

how many times do you think a judge says "i was going to give the death penalty but i'll reduce it to life imprisonment because we're not really sure if you're guilty or innocent"

your opinion is wrong

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The death penalty is not a viable punishment, no matter what the crime.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
withoutaface said:
How about raping and murdering minors?

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
withoutaface said:
Do u prefer them being prison bitches?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd agree to the death penalty for serious crimes such as organised gang rapes, sexual assault and murder of children etc. but only if there is overwhelming proof. If there are any doubts then it shouldn't be called for. Therefore in these cases, courts would apply a more stringent test in order for the death penalty to be an option.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Minai said:
I'd agree to the death penalty for serious crimes such as organised gang rapes, sexual assault and murder of children etc. but only if there is overwhelming proof. If there are any doubts then it shouldn't be called for. Therefore in these cases, courts would apply a more stringent test in order for the death penalty to be an option.
with all due respect mr minai, but the rhetoric of our law deems that for all crimes guilt should proven beyond reasonable doubt in a fair trial. the proof "beyond reasonable doubt" is the highest form of proof already.

in the current matter, we're talking about the dutch civil-law-inspired indonesian criminal legal system, where the accused must prove his/her innocence (not the other way round); all the niceties of our common law and rights to a fair trial dun apply :(

yesh i know that sucks. i was thinking something irrational would happen like we send our elite military forces into indonesia for a night-time VIP rescue mission :p

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Frigid said:
with all due respect mr minai, but the rhetoric of our law deems that for all crimes guilt should proven beyond reasonable doubt in a fair trial. the proof "beyond reasonable doubt" is the highest form of proof already.

in the current matter, we're talking about the dutch civil-law-inspired indonesian criminal legal system, where the accused must prove his/her innocence (not the other way round); all the niceties of our common law and rights to a fair trial dun apply :(

yesh i know that sucks. i was thinking something irrational would happen like we send our elite military forces into indonesia for a night-time VIP rescue mission :p
These 9 dont deserve our sympathy they knew what they were doing and it has increased the chance that Corby will be screwed over in light of the 9 herion mules, they dont deserve death but they do deserve jail

iamsickofyear12

HSC
spell check said:
do you realise how stupid that is?

how many times do you think a judge says "i was going to give the death penalty but i'll reduce it to life imprisonment because we're not really sure if you're guilty or innocent"

your opinion is wrong
There are plenty of times where it's known that someone definately did it.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Would you like to be the person who says to a family "I ordered your son to be killed?"

Besides, it's easy to say "well.. the evidence generally points to you..." and take that to mean "well.. the evidence DEFINITELY points to you". Look how much the media does it (Schapelle Corby might be pregnant; Schapelle Corby IS pregnant) ..

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
She's pregnant? What when did this happen :confused:

Anyways she got caught in their land.. if australia really wants to save corbe they might as well invade indonesia, capture bali then flee away. I mean.. pfft indonesia hasn't got a mighty navy or army to defend bali.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
anti said:
Would you like to be the person who says to a family "I ordered your son to be killed?"

Besides, it's easy to say "well.. the evidence generally points to you..." and take that to mean "well.. the evidence DEFINITELY points to you". Look how much the media does it (Schapelle Corby might be pregnant; Schapelle Corby IS pregnant) ..
If there was a death penalty in Australia I would be happy to be that person. It's not like I am telling them I ordered their innocent son to be killed. I would be telling them I had their pathetic loser son who deserve to die killed.

The media is very different. The evidence proved she wasn't pregnant. The media does not decide whether a person gets the death penalty or not.

spell check

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
There are plenty of times where it's known that someone definately did it.
considering the standard of proof is beyond reasonable doubt, the convicted person supposedly "definitely" did it every time

but they still convict innocent people

walrusbear

HSC
withoutaface said:
i agree
it achieves nothing but sanctioning killing

tattoodguy

morons.

firstly, there is alot more evidence against chapppellle corby than alot of the bali 9 -----------therefore...............u can not talk about how innnocent shappplle is...............and how all the bali 9 deserve to die............the evidence doesnt support what ur saying u dumb arses.

you people say we have to respect tthe laws and the mechanisms of other countries such as indonesia...yet you allow our government to declare a war.....simply because we dont like the way iraq is run.

thirdly, most child molesters and other voilent crimiinals are the victims of voilenence etc....................why should they be punished harshly?

To have justice, we should take into account the crimes they were victims of, when we dish out punishments.

alot of you have a misconception that criminals are treated leniently ------- that is totally unfactual.................over very very very very very very minor crimes..........decent citizens are being sent to jail where they have to live with societies scum bags.......

i dont have a problem people being punished.......but petty criminals........shouldnt even be sent to jail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)