• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Internal course transfer (1 Viewer)

dynasty

HSC
On the website it says that the guaranteed internal course transfer is being discontinued from 2007, so i was wondering how will it work next year?

touma88

HSC
I think you'll see it across universities demonishing internal transfers in-house. Its a ploy to increase revenue for UAC and gov.

L

LaraB

touma88 said:
I think you'll see it across universities demonishing internal transfers in-house. Its a ploy to increase revenue for UAC and gov.
It's also apparently coz, as common sense would probably tell you, just because you can get a 5GPA in (usually) an 'easier' course doesn't mean you will do well in another.

A lot of people who transfer into another course don't do well and i guess in a way, it's unfair then on people who only just missed out, like, .05 of a UAI point, when someone who got dozens lower can get into teh coures simply be doing only moderately well in an unrelated course.

It shouldn't make it much more difficult not having it - especially if you're sensible and transferring within a school/college as often you can get credit for your other units, eg school of management,most courses have a common half a dozen or so units so it's not like it'd be "wasted" time :) and if you do well it shouldn't be hard to successfullly transfer.

klh

HSC
well, even if internal transfers cease, uws policy is more forgiving than other unis, they dont use nrsl marks, they just take the highest marks you have and use that as the selection criteria, e.g. if your uai/gpa/work expereince/diploma/etc. gives you a high mark/rank, thats what uws will use, there is no averaging out uai and gpa. So its really just hte cost factor for uac and the longer waiting times if you want to transfer.

dynasty

HSC
ahhh ok thanks for that

so your saying its not like the other unis who take 50 UAI and 50 uni results after 1st year study at uni

If i didnt get into the course i wanted with my uai but i do well in first yr uni i can successfully transfer but i have to go thru the UAC

Thanks for the help

jubs_

HSC
klh said:
well, even if internal transfers cease, uws policy is more forgiving than other unis, they dont use nrsl marks, they just take the highest marks you have and use that as the selection criteria, e.g. if your uai/gpa/work expereince/diploma/etc. gives you a high mark/rank, thats what uws will use, there is no averaging out uai and gpa. So its really just hte cost factor for uac and the longer waiting times if you want to transfer.
there is no such thing as a single "nrsl mark". that's just an abbreviation coined by boredofstudies forum members for the sake of simplicity. each uni has their own policies, from my understanding, most course transfers only take into consideration GPA. law-related or higher entry courses usually take into account GPA in addition to UAI.

klh

HSC
err...no, uni's have different policies yes, but they usually consider both gpa and uai, that wh ymopst people want tknow what their "nrsl" mark is; uws on the other hand as well as some other uni's such as SCU and a few others will just take into account the highest mark gained by the candidate as an entrance selection criteria.
You are speaking about internal course transfers at some uni's i believe, and since at uws internal course transfers are going to go, and uac is the way to transfer to other courses at teh same or different uni's, I was just saying that uws is a bit more simple in selecting a selection criteria than other uni's which want an nrsl mark such as unsw, usyd etc.

jubs_

HSC
for most uni courses at most universities in sydney they don't even consider uai after you've done one year of full time university study. the only uni that does is sydney uni and unsw(but only for it's law course). when i was doing commerce there first half of this year i met two people who transferred from mac and uws. admissions told them they only considered gpa. i also know that uts (for most of its courses) takes your highest mark as well

klh

HSC
than lets just agree that it depends on the institutions individaul admission requirements and leave it at that. some do nrsl and some dont. I just beleived that since alot of people like to go ot syd/nsw, nrsl as a mark is often enquired about more, but that many uni's do take gpa alone too. So ya, depends on the institution, the uac site lists whether they wnat overall academic meirt [uai/gpa is applicable] and some just your tertiary studies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)