• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Islam Discussion (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I'm interested, what's the qurans viewpoint of who Mary was? What she did, who she descended from etc.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
acmilan said:
I'm interested, what's the qurans viewpoint of who Mary was? What she did, who she descended from etc.
glad youre interested.

mary was the mother of christ, impregnated without a man, as you already know. when the angel (gabriel it was i think) told her of the news, she asked him "what are my people going to say about me?" and he said "when they speak, do not speak, only point to the child." so she did as she was told, and when she pointed at the kid they said" the baby cant speak" and then jesus spoke and said "i am a messenger of god." this is what we believe more or less about mary. i could go into more detail, but i'm going off now. im sure someone else who isnt in a hurry will be more than happy to elaborate, otherwise i will request physician to give more information if no one does.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
veterandoggy said:
sasha, youre not that bright (srry ntb for using your nick!).

it says of a comforter in the bible, and ALOT of interpretations of that has lead to muhammad. and if they are true christians, they would believe in muhammad being the comforter and follow him.

jesus didnt say that he was the son of god, priests who were "editing" the bible did.

all that he said is true. unfortunately not all of it has been passed down. and why would god let his son "die on the cross?" couldnt jesus have just asked his "dad" to forgive christians and he would have done so? sasha, you think you arent brainwashed, but when you argue for other religions you are just as "brainwashed" as anyone you claim to be brainwashed

the jews of madinah used to mock the pagans there (pre-islam), because there were two tribes in madinah, and they were in the middle of a vendatta, and they were basically wiping themselves out. the jews used to always tell them that "a prophet is going to come down to us and we are going to rule over you and kill you." these two tribes were scared, but couldnt end the vendetta because it had gone out of hand. but when they heard of the prophet muhammad looking for a place to reside, the pagans went to him and asked him to live with them. he agreed on the condition that the two tribes stopped fighting and immediately became brothers. they instantly agreed, and hence the migration to medinah. when the jews found out that he was the prophet, they didnt follow him because he was of poor arab descent, and not a wealthy jew, which, added to their conspiracies, later led to their exile.

first of all i am not brainwashed and taking christianities side, i am argueing against all religions, but since yuo choose to include jesus in yuor belief, i use what jesus said.

its so typical of you to beleive that christianity was tempered with, but islam wasnt.
yuor relying on the original quran, but so are christians who get their belief from the original manuscripts from Paul of Tarsus and mark and the other dudes.

look basicly you cant dismiss some stuff what jesus said and then believe in him just so it fits nicely with yuor religion.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
acmilan said:
Upon Veterandoggy's request, I will try my best to provide u with details of what the Quran says about Mary (Maryam) (peace be upon her) and hopefully answer ur question.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mary, is known as Maryam in the Quran (Im not 100% sure but i think Arab chritians call 'Mary', Maryam, but don't take my word for it).

Maryam meaning 'to abide', in other words 'someone who incessantly worships Allah'.

1.The Almighty reveals Maryam's mother's prayers (i.e the Wife of Imran, Imran being Maryam's father) in the following verse:

Remember when the wife of 'Imran said: "My Lord, I have vowed to You whatever is in my womb, to be devoted [to Your service]. Please accept it from me. You are the All-Hearing, the All-Knowing." When she gave birth, she said: "My Lord! I have given birth to a girl"-and Allah knew very well what she had given birth to, male and female are not the same-"and I have named her Maryam and placed her and her children in Your safekeeping from Satan, the accursed." (Surah Al 'Imran: 35-36)

There's a bit of history in regards to Maryams family being exalted in the Quran, as well who educated Maryam (peace and blessings of Allah be upon her) ,but theres no need to go into too much detail. Her father was Imran, and her educator was Zakaarriyah.

2. Mary (Maryam) was exalted over ALL women, or rather, The Almighty Preferred Maryam over All Other Women. The Almighty relates her superiority in the following verse:

And when the angels said: "Maryam, Allah has chosen you and purified you. He has chosen you over all other women. Maryam, obey your Lord and prostrate and bow with those who bow." (Surah Al 'Imran: 42-43)

And as Harun Yahya in his book entitiled Maryam: An Exemplary Muslims Woman"writes:

"Maryam, like the rest of her family, was known among her people for her devotion to Allah as well as her religiosity, chastity, and sincerity. Allah speaks of her as someone obedient to Him.

And Maryam, the daughter of 'Imran, who guarded her chastity-We breathed Our Spirit into her. She confirmed the Words of her Lord and His Book, and was one of the obedient. (Surat at-Tahrim: 12)

… and she who guarded her chastity. We breathed into her some of Our Spirit and made her and her son a Sign for all the worlds. (Surat al-Anbiya': 91)"

3.Maryam experienced quite a number of miracles in her life, one of them was meeting the angel Gabriel (Jibril in Arabic, as it appears in the Quran):

...Then We sent Our Spirit to her, and it took on for her the form of a handsome, well-built man. (Surah Maryam: 16-17)

Not knowing who this man was: "She said: 'I seek refuge from you with the All-Merciful, [leave me] if you have fear [and respect] of Allah'" (Surah Maryam: 18).

Jibril introduced himself and told her he was an angel sent from the Almighty:
"I am only your Lord's messenger [an angel] so that He can give you a pure boy" (Surah Maryam: 19).

4.The birth of Jesus:

As the Qur'an recounts:

When the angels said: "Maryam, your Lord gives you good news of a Word from Him. His name is the Messiah, 'Isa, son of Maryam, of high esteem in this world and the Hereafter, and one of those brought near." (Surah Al 'Imran: 45)

We believe in the miraculous birth of Jesus (Isaa) (peace be upon him) to Maryam (peace an blessings be upon her). Mary questions how she could have a child, without having been touched by a man: "How can I have a boy when no man has touched me and I am not an unchaste woman?" (Surah Maryam: 20)

He [Jibril] said: "It will be so." Allah creates whatever He wills. When He decides on something, He just says to it, "Be!" and it is. (Surah Al 'Imran: 47)

He said: "It will be so." Your Lord says: "That is easy for Me. It is so that We can make him a Sign for humanity and a mercy from Us. It is a matter already decreed." So she conceived him and withdrew with him to a distant place. (Surah Maryam: 21-22).

In fact there's a whole Surah (chapter) entitled ' Surah Maryam' (which as u can see above, Ive quoted verses from)

5. conidtions (or location) of Maryam during the birth:

The conditions at the time when she gave birth to Jesus (peace be upon him) are also mentioned in the Quran, as well as the Almighty's advice that she should 'eat dates' whilst she was in a distant place to which she had retreated. She retreated and withdrew from her people due to the criticism of the miraculous birth, as well as for peace and calmness during her time of birth. A women goes through hard times during birth, the last thing she needed was people criticising her pregnancy.

The pains of labor drove her to the trunk of a date-palm. She exclaimed: "Oh, if only I had died before this time and was something discarded and forgotten!" A voice called out to her from under her: "Do not grieve. Your Lord has placed a small stream at your feet. Shake the trunk of the palm toward you, and fresh, ripe dates will drop down to you. Eat and drink, and delight your eyes. If you should see anyone at all, just say: 'I have made a vow of abstinence to the All-Merciful, and [so] today I will not speak to any human being.' " (Surah Maryam: 23-26)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sorry for the long post, but theres just so much on Mary (Maryam) (peace be upon her) and Jesus (Isaa) (peace be upon him) in the Quran, it'll take pages to list everything the Quran says about them both.

however, I think the main points are that, according to the Quran:

1. Maryam gave birth to Isaa without a father.

2. Issa was the Son of Maryam, who also experienced many miracles, one was his ability to speak whilst in the cradle, another was bringing the dead back to life.

3. Maryam is very important in Islam, she's an exemplary Muslim women, one whom all muslims should look up to and respect.

Last edited:

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
HSC
SashatheMan said:
first of all i am not brainwashed and taking christianities side, i am argueing against all religions, but since yuo choose to include jesus in yuor belief, i use what jesus said.

its so typical of you to beleive that christianity was tempered with, but islam wasnt.
yuor relying on the original quran, but so are christians who get their belief from the original manuscripts from Paul of Tarsus and mark and the other dudes.

look basicly you cant dismiss some stuff what jesus said and then believe in him just so it fits nicely with yuor religion.
sasha, all i need to say to prove that they arent the same authentic text as 2000 years ago is this: check their names. king james version; RSV; and more. why is it the king james "version"? shouldnt it all just be the "bible"?

and he says, in which verse i am unsure, "on my own authority i can do nothing." i will be more than happy for someone who has read it before to correct/agree with me, but this for me implies that he isnt exactly a god. there are others, however i neednt continue, because you dont believe in him.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Obviously there is some form of debate amongst muslim scholars as to what certain verses of the koran mean... obviously some muslims believe in different interpretations to others... The exact wording of the text means nothing.

googooloo

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Obviously there is some form of debate amongst muslim scholars as to what certain verses of the koran mean... obviously some muslims believe in different interpretations to others... The exact wording of the text means nothing.
How can you say such a thing I wonder? Islam is based around the fact that the words cannot be altered adn teh exact words are kept so the religion cannot be altered...meaning the way in which muslims worship god. (i.e. prayer, fasting, hajj etc.)

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
they may have different interpretations, but i dont see many of them denouncing other's interpretations.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
googooloo said:
How can you say such a thing I wonder? Islam is based around the fact that the words cannot be altered adn teh exact words are kept so the religion cannot be altered...meaning the way in which muslims worship god. (i.e. prayer, fasting, hajj etc.)
i am guessing you havent heard of the word "interpretation".

googooloo

HSC
God is not what you htink. God doesn't gain sexual pleasure like we do, just as god does not sleep. Like it has been said be veterandoggy, contribute or sit out....and you are not placing in constructive criticism at all so sit on the sideline.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
googooloo said:
God is not what you htink. God doesn't gain sexual pleasure like we do, just as god does not sleep. Like it has been said be veterandoggy, contribute or sit out....and you are not placing in constructive criticism at all so sit on the sideline.
So if I stick my dick in you, but gain no sexual pleasure from it because you're an ugly bitch (hypothetically), I'm not a rapist?

googooloo

HSC
withoutaface said:
So if I stick my dick in you, but gain no sexual pleasure from it because you're an ugly bitch (hypothetically), I'm not a rapist?
No i am saying god does not need sexual pleasure of seek it, he is god, hte omnipitent, the merciful, the forgiving, the seer, the knower, the all-knowing. Allah (SWT) was not born adn cannot and will not die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)