• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

maths ext past hsc (1 Viewer)

ReaL~

HSC
hi there

ok i've been killing myself by doing past ext papers and im ONLY GETTING 60 -70% T.T

is that good or .......BAD

Riviet

HSC
N/A
ReaL~ said:
hi there

ok i've been killing myself by doing past ext papers and im ONLY GETTING 60 -70% T.T

is that good or .......BAD
It depends what you want (i.e band E4, E3?). You should get a band E3 with that kind of mark (raw).

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Depends on what you're aiming for. The state average is usually around 50-60% raw mark, so at I'd say that would have become band E3 around the 80s in that year.

H

housemouse

Thats pretty normal if your just doing Extension 1 Maths.

P

pLuvia

I find it helps a bit, but not that much. Those inequalities questions are very easy when doing the 4u ones though. I feel that doing 4u makes 3u like 2u, same as the people who just do 3u who think 2u is easy, and 3u is hard

H

housemouse

gamecw said:
does ext2 really help u doin ext1?
Well im not sure about you but i can say for myself that it has helped me a lot because in year 11 i had so many gaps in my 3 unit knowledge but now ive managed to fixed up using 4 unit and those who beat me in year 11 in 3 unit, well im beating them now.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
Extension 2 students should be getting close to 100% in 3unit. However it is easy to become complacent and lose marks on easy things, such as formulas you don't use much like Newton's method

B35tY

HSC
I'm aware of that, but roughly, from year to year, is that about right?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I would think 70+ / 84? I have no idea how high into the 70s you would need though, but there abouts. :p

P

pLuvia

B35tY said:
I'm aware of that, but roughly, from year to year, is that about right?
Opps, I thought you were talking about 4u for some reason ;) I would think 65/84 would get a band e4. Sorry

JhK89

HSC
just asking how much will i need to get a low E3 by raw marks approx..

alexvincent

HSC
Hey... what do you guys think I will get as an HSC mark?
I'm ranked 2nd... very very close to 1st... for my trial i got 93% CSSA paper and I'm confident of getting 90%+ in the HSC exam.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Approximately 13? :p I'm guessing you had a go at everything.

gamecw

HSC
webby234 said:
Yeah - but a couple of marks weren't really stupid mistakes - just my general incompetence with circles.
hey one thing iv always wantd 2 find out.. say if u make a silly mistake like
rewriting the answer wrongly from the 2nd last line to the last line
eg. y=2(3x-2) --> y=6x-5
and the question worths say 2~3 marks in total. wud they take off 1 mark off u or half? n do they actually do half marks?

i make ALOT of those mitakes, my last attempt of 3u was 1999 paper.. got 72/84 and 7 marks were from those mistakes..

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure you can't get or lose half marks, in your example you would lose 1 mark.

gamecw

HSC
Riviet said:
I'm pretty sure you can't get or lose half marks, in your example you would lose 1 mark.
then i shud be damn careful on the day..

what about if the marking criteria says obtain the answer up 2 y=2(3x-2) scores a mark, but i expand it and stupidly write y=6x-5.. they still take off mark?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)