• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Moving to sydney-eastern suburbs after HSC 2007. (1 Viewer)

loveskeet

HSC
my mum and everyone keeps telling me its very hard to find a cheap place in sydney especially around the eastern suburbs like bondi etc.. is it really? cause me and my friends wnat to move down there after shcool and we are just used to living on the beach(im from the north coast of nsw) so we dont want to move to like west sydney..if anyone knows anything about how expensive it is etc..please gt eback to me :)

dodgyfilokid

HSC
it is...unless your willing to share it with someone..i mean you moving in into other people's place...if you're desperate to move to the east..d cheapest suburbs are randwick, kingsford, maroubra and pagewood...all close to buses...but well things might change when it comes to the rent price and stuff....go to this site...www.flatmatefinders.com.au thats where you look up houses wherein theyre in need of house mates to share costs

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
It's not cheap.

First rule of Sydney: double the price of everything. Then add 50 million.

The cheapest place I could land was $120/week for a tiny studio apartment (read: 8m^2 room), this is in Kingsford. It does get cheaper in the west and southwest but you said you don't want to live there (I wouldn't want to either). Eastern Suburbs is a good choice because we get 24/7 buses (max wait for me at any time of night from/to the city is 30 mins, assuming I just miss one), which I guess is worth paying the extra rent for. *

Basically you won't find a 2 bedroom apartment out this way for less than $250/week, assuming you want something more than a cardboard box with two compartments. Add around $120-$130 for each additional room required...very rough estimation. Check the links people gave above.

* we also have the Pumpkin Bus which runs every half hour in the wee hours of the morning, a loop around the eastern suburbs and Coogee beach. It's free of charge and is there to ultimately get drunk people home safely after a big night at the Coog'. Basically... the eastern suburbs is a great choice :p (I'm by no means biased..)

Last edited:

Dave2007

HSC
Bondi rocks, I live there!

But yeah, damn expensive... I wouldn't want to be forking out the rent for it...

In the more "working suburban" areas of the east, say halfway between bondi beach and bondi junction, or south towards kingsford, or out towards randwick, you should be able to find moderately priced flats. There are also, of course, backpackers places near bondi beach.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I half live in a 2.5 bedroom flat in Bondi Junction, it's a decent size, pretty old- $320 a week. It's really not cheap around here.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Why not aim for somewhere cheaper, but still within proximity to all the good stuff? Try Redfern, or South Surry Hills. They're pretty hip, and actually nice places, as opposed to the Eastern Suburbs (my view only, of course).

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yeah it doesn't get much hipper than Redfern. You've obviously never hung around the campfire near Redfern Station.

i live at Edgecliff and the rent is something like $550/week. The East is very expensive. You'd be better off finding a place either in the South-East (Maroubra, etc) or Inner-West. They're cheaper for shiz and also transportation is quite decent. It won't be anywhere near as nice as the North or the East, though.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Dave2007 said:
So you're saying Redfern is nicer than, say, Vaucluse?
I rather like it. Yeah, I don't find too much spectacular about Vaucluse, or anywhere in the Eastern Suburbs. Really, the nicest areas are like, Paddington, Wooloomooloo and Point Piper (or is it Potts Point?), and they're kinda bit more inner-westish than say, Bondi or otherwise. Of course, my favourite inner-city suburb is Newtown, which may explain my preference for Redfern over, say, Bondi.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Paddington is Inner-Westish? lolz. its inner-east. it's just next to the city n the east side.

Redfern is fucked up. Really. I would never ever want to live there.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
More like Surry Hills, Paddington and Newtown, they're often use to sharing with students.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
No no, in that it has an inner-westish feel. :)

Redfern is charming. It has "character".

stazi

Nightman
HSC
If by character you mean the inability to come home after midnight without fearing you'll get mugged, then I agree.

I think Paddington is very arty and nice. I don't get the inner-west feel from it. It's mostly cosmopolitan townhouse living and it kind of reminds me of Chelsea in New York. I wouldn't mind living there.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Yeah they are quite bad, although I would argue that some parts of Glebe, and pretty much all of Redfern are the worst out of them.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I actually loved living in Double Bay. Really nice atmosphere. Although I agree with it being too expensive for shopping etc

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
It's in mine.

lol@referring to paddington as inner west.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)