• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

O Week (1 Viewer)

nixy_00

HSC
i dont know how only one thread has come up on the topic and its about handing out flyers!

Personally the main thing about starting uni is o week! I hear from all my mates at other unis its the best and stuff, but i'm sceptical cos i dont know anyone! NOT ONE PERSON, apart from the dreaded x bf whos finishing at sibt.

can a sophomore or someone give us all an idea about o week.

Much much much appreciated

Niz

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
O-Week hasnt been all that 'spectacular' at Macquarie for the past few years. Most unis try and suck kids into thinking, uni will be like o-week for the rest of the year, it won't be. Macquarie takes a much more laid back approach, you come in, for most subjects tutorials/practicals aren't run, and so its only introductory lectures you usually attend, meanwhile, there'll be stalls, some bands (although nothing confirmed at this stage) and you can walk around uni and familiarise yourself with the place and sign up for different clubs and societies :)

And don't worry about not being able to make a friend, Im sure you'll be able to make quite a few friends. Heck, we'll even make it easy for you, I'm pretty sure the Non-award orientation will be running as well, so you can meet other people doing non-award as well, and make contacts through that :)

Alternatively, you got the whole forum here to befriend! And we're a friendly bunch! :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Sounds like one of the dance parties they hold in the Macquarie Atrium, not too sure on details at this point, but there should be advertising around the place as the semester goes on.

^___^
HSC
eh

last yr they had evermore playing(well, they toured other unis too), and it sucked major cock
yr before they had the cat empire( ? )

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
cat empire were great live at homebake. They have played there several times, though i dont know how they did at maq because i didnt go when they played there.

X

xeuyrawp

Cyan_phoeniX said:
cat empire were great live at homebake. They have played there several times, though i dont know how they did at maq because i didnt go when they played there.
Yeah, they're awesome live.

About O Week, you will be very inundated. Advice: don't join any clubs unless you know you will participate -- remember that most clubs have late joining (very few have late joining fees, or anything), so don't feel pressured to buy.

Try to ignore obviously political clubs, like Young Liberals, Macquarie Labors, the smelly hippy Indian dude, the Greens, and such -- they're generally a waste of time and oxygen.

Clubs are an awesome way to meet people (hence, don't go to a Greens or Anti-Racist meeting; you'll be assimilated into the collective, as such) - I recommend the Anime Society, the film society (which I'm an executive and treasurer of), and maybe the law/commerce/accounting society, if that's what you're doing.

I wandered around O Week alone, which was pretty off-putting, if you want, come and find a boser and say hello! :)

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
everyone should go to the efcs cruise... a lil birdie told me theres gonna be one this year

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Orange Juice said:
everyone should go to the efcs cruise... a lil birdie told me theres gonna be one this year
Isn't there one every year? Unlimited alcohol+pizza+cruise+dj = messy fun.

I saw The Cat Empire at Homebake and O-Week and the O-Week crowd was rather ordinary in comparison. The sound wasn't great at uni (what else is new) but if you got close enough it was alright.

Evermore at uni had technical problems throughout their whole set...it was ridiculous.

CieL

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Clubs are an awesome way to meet people (hence, don't go to a Greens or Anti-Racist meeting; you'll be assimilated into the collective, as such) - I recommend the Anime Society, the film society (which I'm an executive and treasurer of), and maybe the law/commerce/accounting society, if that's what you're doing.

I wandered around O Week alone, which was pretty off-putting, if you want, come and find a boser and say hello! :)
oh.. i didnt even know those clubs existed.. they're not on the Macq website?

how do you know which is a fellow boser and who's not?

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
i hope i get another strip of wax, so i can unearth the deep forests of amazonia.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
CieL said:
go to the planned meet up and meet some? organise to meet them? you won't just know

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha, yeah, except for iambored, you'd have to usurp iam as the forum ninja to meet her! So good luck :p

X

xeuyrawp

CieL said:
oh.. i didnt even know those clubs existed.. they're not on the Macq website?
Yeah, the Macquarie website is useless at best.

Rules regarding ....mq.edu.au websites:
1. They're rarely, if ever updated,
2. The information will be incorrect, and corrected after the required due-by date,
3. The contact information is for the 'old office',
4. Whilst the intentions of webmasters are good, ignore all websites and contact a person. Conflicting views of said persons will be a rule, listen to the 'highest' person; with normal rules applying (a Professor will know more than a janitor), except that secretaries seem to have the final and most authoritive say,
5. The handbook, whilst informative, is a collection of 'rules' that are more easily circumvented with the right Irish persuasion.

We, unlike the mortal population, tend to strut, fly, hover, or (more frequently) skip.

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
GoodToGo said:
Isn't there one every year? Unlimited alcohol+pizza+cruise+dj = messy fun.
it is? i only know the cruise was on in 04 and 05. i wasnt at uni before then.
i heard it wasnt so much 'unlimited' alcy? i can never find anyone whos interested in going, and you cant do these things alone.

AsyLum said:
Haha, yeah, except for iambored, you'd have to usurp iam as the forum ninja to meet her! So good luck :p
iambored is actually a man.

monique66

Umm, I'd be interested in joining the film society but I want to find out a little more about it first. The drama society looks pretty interesting too, anyone know anything about that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)