• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Opinions sass and bide (3 Viewers)

pb

Inside The Hollow
HSC
yehh i get what you mean glitterfairy
once i put on a green hat and my friend said i looked dead
so she made me buy the pink one
so yeh... i suit pink better than green

HSC
N/A
I only just stopped wearing some of my favourite colours a few months ago :( So hard to give up all my pretty pastel pinks and creams... but let's face it, they just don't look very good on me :( The trick is to SERIOUSLY be ruthless, or have a ruthless friend sitting next to you.

Alternatively give us a description of your skin tone and we can do a rough colour chart from there.

Remember - you can still use some of your favourite colours in your room. Fear not, your favourite colours can work their way into your life through other ways! ;)

Some quotes from T&S to get me started:

"...deciphering your flaws and assets is a crucial part of looking your best. ... And girls, you absolutely HAVE to do this, however painful it might be."

Now I'll work top to bottom:

Neck
If you have a scrawny neck like Trinny's, you can wear chunky scarves (looped and tied) as well as turtlenecks. They'll make your neck look less scrawny and more in proportion to the rest of your body.

But if you have a wider/shorter neck, stick to thinner scarves and DON'T wear turtlenecks (PATICULARLY NOT IN DARK COLOURS) because then you will logically loose all the neck you have!!! You can help your neck look longer by wearing V-neck tops - the "V" will elongate your neck (being one of the most flattering shapes).

Upper arms
The chunkier they are, the more incentive there is to hide them. Now that being said, T&S are directed at a slightly older market - as youngun's I don't think we have to worry too much about this. But if you want to read on, then read on :)

If you have a heavier bone structure and have upper and lower arms that are pretty much in proportion to each other, you can wear any sort of sleeve you like (until I find a reference that says otherwise). So, lucky you :p Might not be a good idea to wear oversized sleeves though - then you will just make yourself look bony :S

If you have proportionately chunky upper arms, you are likely to have delicate forearms and wrists. So covering up the chunky upper arm is half the solution. The other is to draw attention to your skinnier forearms and wrists! So a FITTED (if it's thick lace or non-fitted, you're just going to make it look bigger) elbow-length, 3/4-length or even fluted sleeve is perfect for you because it'll hide what you don't want seen, whilst highlighting what you do want to show off. Things to avoid: Puffy sleeves that are too tight and make the flesh below the seam bulge out (this will make things look worse) and also cap sleeves, because they'll cut your arm off at the widest point (also making things look worse). In summer, sleeveless and strapless tops will make chunky upper arms look smaller because they will be seen in comparison to the much larger decollage area.

And for an important part - boobies!
A good bra is a good bra is a good bra. And that's all I have to say!

Ok. I lie.

If you're on the small side (I used to be an A cup, so I'm speaking from experience here) low-cut tops will not make you look bigger (but powar to the gals who wear them anyway! hahaha). However, push-up bras, inserts, and detailling over bust area (like ruffles and gathering) will. Failing that, go for tops that are quite high around the neck (like a high scoop or turtleneck) in a thick knit that will bulk you out a bit. People who tend to be small in front have a habit of carrying little body fat around the rest of them, so they normally have arms, a waist, and a back to kill for :p So, hide what you don't like, and show off what you do like!

On the other hand, if you're a bit bigger, covering yourself from waist to neck actually makes you look HUGE. And if you wear one of those semi-fitted turtle neck things, it will look like your boobs start from your neck, and go all the way down to your waist (even if you are wearing a good bra underneath). Oh dear! (This is why people with smaller chests SHOULD wear neck-to-waist things, because it makes whatever you have look bigger)
The solution is to show off you boobs without showing toooo much. Strange as it sounds, if you cover up everything it makes you look bigger in a "HELLO HERE ARE MY BOOBS!" kind of way - if you show off a little more (as in just a little bit above where cleavage begins) with a nice scoop (eg singlet top line) or V-neck, then you will actually look smaller/more in proportion.

A problem area for many of us - tummy!
If you have a perfect waist and a totally flat tummy, I hate you.

In other news. Look at yourself sideways in the mirror and figure out whether you have a podgy lower tummy or not (I do, for example). If you don't, breathe a sigh of relief. If you do, don't burst into tears - you just need to be a little bit more careful in how you dress, that's all :) Don't give your body an opportunity to show off it's pudge - stick to forgiving waistlines, which tend to be hipster or have a "V-shape" or scoop in the front (yes, they do make clothes like this - you just have to find them!).

There are a couple of ways you can hide a tummy - here's a few off the top of my head:
* Wear your jackets/coats open (this won't work so well with double-breasted coats/jackets). Particularly if one is patterned, or they are in different colours, you create a vertical "column" of colour in the middle which can help you look taller and thinner. At the very least, it'll break up your horizontal bulk
* DON'T wear anything waisted, unless it's some kind of demi-corset. A waisted pair of pants will only make your butt look bigger, and emphasise any sort of tummy you have. Same goes for a top that finishes on the waist. A 50s style dress on the other hand, with a neat waistband on or just under the waist, looks divine particularly if it has a "V" in the front.
* Avoid horizontal stripes, but jump to any vertical ones you can find (whether applied detail, fabric print or seam detailling). Particularly on jackets, vertical or predominantly vertical diagonal lines will work beautifully (this is why both of clairegirl's sass and bide jackets rock).
* Draw the attention away from the tummy area with details elsewhere. At night, I'll wear a lot of low-cut tops ;) In the daytime, you can accessorize with a nice necklace, or choose tops that have some sort of structured detailing that will lend you a waist - such as ones with ruching/gathers at the top (which tend to double as bust-enhancers, too).
* If you can't beat 'em, join em! You know those crossover tops that have the ruching on the sides? Between the 'real' folds and the fabric folds, nobody will be able to tell the difference ;)
* You can achieve a slimming effect by emphasising a vertical line - such as wearing block colours from head to toe. But try not to resort to black - any colour will work (and this winter, rich colours ROCK!).
* And finally - WEAR CLOTHES THAT FIT YOU. Contrary to popular belief, baggy clothes only make YOU look baggy too. However, flesh-guzzling tops that are a few sizes too small (like when your flesh bulges out at any given opportunity)won't work either. Get clothes that fit! Like they say - "skim = slim!"

Will leave it there for now :)

Last edited:

monique66

Omg...i just realised why my boyfriend likes it when i wear turtlenecks...lol! I thought i wasn't even showing any flesh...hahaha...

P.S. I hate having a tummy, it means i have to find something that fits nicely on my boobs but doesn't emphasise my stomach :(

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
lol @ pb... ur friend has a way with words :p

And glitter! I love those girls too! They were on oprah twice :D

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
thanks glitter, lots of good stuff there. i'm going to look up more now :D

HSC
N/A
damnation said:
Omg...i just realised why my boyfriend likes it when i wear turtlenecks...lol! I thought i wasn't even showing any flesh...hahaha...

P.S. I hate having a tummy, it means i have to find something that fits nicely on my boobs but doesn't emphasise my stomach :(
Hence my love for a good winter jacket... one that covers the tummy area, but is low-cut enough to show a bit of whatever top you have underneath. That'll definately take the attention away from tummy and up to bust :D
Alternatively a pair of jeans that fits (if you have a tummy, go for a higher-cut waist. There's jean for every body type, trust me!) and pair it with a top that skims the body. You'll be fine :)

Ah! one more I forgot:

* Small prints act a bit like tiger stripes - they won't disguise what's there so much as dispersing the outlines (which I guess, is the same thing). So that's another thing you can try - but beware, large prints are very unforgiving!

Although in all honesty, I don't think any of us need to worry too much about tummies - we're all young enough for everything to basically be ok. It's post-childbirth and around the menopausal stage that things get kooky :S

HSC
N/A
And now that you've read all this stuff, I challenge you all to try on different tops in front of the mirror and see for yourselves whether Trinny and Susannah's "Rules" are right or not - seeing is believing!

lmnopq

HSC
wooooooo i'm loving this thread! i heart sass & bide and both those jackets are gorgeous! buy them both!

*hopeful*

HSC
the denim jackets out, no1 bid on it

u can still bid on the brown one though

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
wow so expensive!

i'm with asylum on this one *crawls back to not understanding fashion*

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
decided not to get any for the moment...i was just about to bid on the brown jacket... however i decided it would be better to try stuff on and coz my body's changing.... i can't just say "yep that wud look gud on me" etc

*sigh* the brown one would look so hot in a black skirt :(

pb

Inside The Hollow
HSC
and if you got it now, it would be too big for you later ?
and tahts all that money gone!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i agree with the buying without trying on thing. and with the it's expensive and might not fit you later thing. but they'll probably put it back up for bidding so you can probably still get it if you really want it.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
pb said:
and if you got it now, it would be too big for you later ?
and tahts all that money gone!
actually if i had got it, it would be a lil tight on me.. its a size 9-11... im a size 12 now lol

I used to buy clothes smaller for me when i was bigger as inspiration to lose weight so i'de be able to wear them! lol i know thats soo gay but its worked, i can now wear these industry cargos that i was absolutely in love with before...i know tis a bit silly because by the time i'll be able to wear it, it'll be out of fashion?...

Im not a fashion girl though, i just seriously throw on whatever looks good, even if it looked good last year and not this year :p

Tabris

HSC
Do they have leather jackets?

Always good for winter, its a wind breaker and keeps the warmth unlike cotton

Also its water proof and and 1 layer+leather jack is more than enough for the
winter

I own a plain black one that was bought overseas, fits perfectly and can be zipped up all the wat up past the collar, makes it look like a leather tracksuit jacket

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
pb said:
lol this video reminded me of this thread and iambored hehe

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=14076
lol I HAVE DIAL UP atm coz my broadband keeps playing up and i waited for that to download pb...hahaha

nice! I used to be addicted to ebay lol.. i used to sell stuff on there too lol I got really addicted.. but then i stopped cold turkey. twas painful :(

i've only just started browsing again, but i won't get addicted again because i like shopping in real life too much now :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)