• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Quality music has run low ? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Maybe the problem isn't that there is no good music around these days, and is instead just the fact that there's way more shit music to wade through, or that you're not looking hard enough :)

Of course it depends entirely on what music you're into, but I can think of loads of music released recently which I've really enjoyed and intend to enjoy for quite some time to come. Sure there's lots of older music that is great, but I don't see how anyone can honestly believe all music happening these days is without merit.

As some of the others have said, I'm sure there was loads of shit music around back in the day too, just that because we weren't around then, and because they've (rightfully) faded into obscurity, we don't know about them. Give it fifty or so years and I'm thinking the dodgy music of today will also be forgotten.

Edit: haha, go me, left out half a sentence :)

Last edited:

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
There is good music before there is good music now, if u look around and explore all the diffent genres of music then anyone can find good music these days. If u think one song is quality another thinks that song is crap, so just cuase u think its not quality doesnt mean its the same for everyone else.

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
tru music is subjective

so i will rephrase and say "in my opinion, music 2day is, in the majority, shithouse. although im sure many dont agree."

i still blame music being mass produced 4 y i feel they way i do

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
but do u have good music without bad? how do you contrast or even appreciate some of your favourite artists? thats for you to decide i think the music industry is important and all the music it produces makes us happy and critical...blah balh more stuff here

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
thejosiekiller said:
but do u have good music without bad? how do you contrast or even appreciate some of your favourite artists?
i noe wat i like

and it makes me wish i was born in the 60s, although i wouldnt have the net, thats somthn i can get ova

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
yes but music progresses

the 60s was a period in which music had changed considerably that affteced society and culture on a bigger scale at the time period

i mean saying u know what u like is one thing- but music is art and you cant censor it cause u dont like some forms of art.........just dont pay it any attention

dont stop the music

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
some recently produced music is awesome, not to mention production standards etc have never been better... the only trouble is finding it!

ChrisE

HSC
if you think there is hardly any good music about today you arent looking hard enough, plenty of shit is around but the 60's and 70's, regarded as the decades where some of the best music was created was full of horrible crimes against music, so if you push the crap aside there is always gold underneath.

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
fornstar said:
wat im tryn 2 say, is that mass produced singers/bands r shit

and its cause of them that this era of music will b a black page in the history of music

it doenst matter if u sell one cd or 10 million

bob dylan, the doors, the beatles, the rolling stones ... all massive names, all sold heaps of records

remembered not cause they sold many records, but because of their music

its all bout the music man

and im sad 2 say, that in the yr 2005 music is no longer bout the music!!!

we have record companys using henry fords production line makn clones ppl regard as 'artists'

thats wat im tryn 2 say
But your premise is wrong because it assumes there is no good music being produced today, which is completely wrong. Revisionist critics will remember the good bands, even if they arent what you are hearing on the radio today. Its my personal opinion that Xiu Xiu are about to spearhead a new movement in anti-pop with their new album and theyll be remembered for it, but Ive been saying that about all their albums I spose.

artfag

Banned
HSC
xiu xiu aren't as good as you make them out to be

they're not different

you're not different

shut up

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
music its subjective

personally i feel that music 2day isnt as good as music of years gone by

2 end my posting on this thread, i would like 2 leave with a quote from my mate Bob Seger's song 'Old Time Rock Roll'

"Call me a relic, call me what you will
Say I’m old-fashioned, say I’m over the hill
Today’ music ain’t got the same soul
I like that old time rock ’n’ roll

Still like that old time rock’n’ roll
That kind of music just soothes the soul
I reminisce about the days of old
With that old time rock ’n’ roll"

enjoy

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Its my opinion that people have been too busy whinging about how the 60s is over to actually go out and listen to some new stuff.

I think that what now will be remembered for in music is a stage when in the face of over produced glitter pop there has been a rather strangled and pathetic attempt to revitalise rock as a force in pop with bands like the Killers, the Hives, the Datsuns and Jet to name a few.

spell check

HSC
bluesky100 said:
Most of the time old music is all I ever listen to - nothing after 1990. Much better than 90's+ music.
but george harrison's last album came out post 1990 and you obviously listened to it

abey85

HSC
There are still many quality artists making quality music today. Just listen to the new Tori Amos album, and you'll see what i mean.

artfag

Banned
HSC
abey85 said:
There are still many quality artists making quality music today. Just listen to the new Tori Amos album, and you'll see what i mean.

lol .

malkin86

HSC
Everyone has their own idea of what makes good music. I like melody-led songs, so pop, jazz, classical, rnb and some rock does it for me, depending on my mood. Rap doesn't, neither does metal or overly synthesised stuff.
Foreign stuff is good too - the Japanese group "The Pillows" has a rock guitar sound to die for.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Definitely agree, most of the music i like is from the 80's and 90's, and the bands that are around today had their better stuff during the 90's and 80's

mahuligan

HSC
practically all the music i listen to was made atleast 15 years ago... i really cant stand the lyrics in rap and rnb these days - all that cussing seems rather unnecessary, and i have to admit there are days i feel like giving pop artists like britney spears and hilary duff a few hundred papercuts...
music from the 1960s to 1980s is so much more real and unrefined and isnt undermined by the singers appearence or anything like that and i find the lyrics are much more eloquent, but that might just be because i tend to listen to alot of oldschool soul.
im not saying ALL of todays music is shithouse...but alot of it is pretty crap

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
a lot of metal these days is actually pretty good, and an improvement on the 80's, when many bands had pretty limited production.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)