• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

RIAA takes $2000 from 12-year-old girl.. pathetic.. (1 Viewer)

Winston

HSC
Age and gender doesnt prevent RIAA from taking action against the heavy sharers, i mean c'mon 1000 songs shared, how much money is record companies losing?.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
seriously though...12yr old girls aint got no idea what they are doing...thats just sad.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
lolz....just heard bout it and it pissed me off

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Nothing can stop us...
They're not gonna get us......

- Tatu, 'Not Gonna Get Us'
seriously, RIAA are run by greedy fuckin' pigs. even if there was no such thing as file-sharing, i wouldn't buy all of my music (unless it was really good)... call me cheap (and miserly, and asian), but com'on, 25 bucks for ten-twelve tracks? they put up arguments like intellectual property law and how we're fucking up the artists, when the artists themselves are paid bout low 3 bucks per CD, and the CD itself (+ printing) amounts to another 2 bucks? geez, talking about markup... :rolleyes:

they can't stop filesharing, it'll only drive it deeper and deeper underground. they're not gonna get us.

edit: what next? arresting people for mobile phone ringtones?

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Frigid

seriously, RIAA are run by greedy fuckin' pigs. even if there was no such thing as file-sharing, i wouldn't buy all of my music (unless it was really good)... call me cheap (and miserly, and asian), but com'on, 25 bucks for ten-twelve tracks? they put up arguments like intellectual property law and how we're fucking up the artists, when the artists themselves are paid bout low 3 bucks per CD, and the CD itself (+ printing) amounts to another 2 bucks? geez, talking about markup... :rolleyes:

they can't stop filesharing, it'll only drive it deeper and deeper underground. they're not gonna get us.

edit: what next? arresting people for mobile phone ringtones?

yeah, i have heard that comment before. However, you must realise that they would only reduce the price if more ppl went to buy it. Thus, you have a contradiction. This is similar to computer software, ie Office 2003 costs $2000......

Soliah

What is the same 12 year old girl?

Among the RIAA's recent targets is retiree Ernest Brenot, 79, of Ridgefield, Wash., who wrote in a handwritten note to a federal judge that he does not own a computer nor can he operate one.

Brenot was accused of illegally offering for download 774 songs by artists including Vanilla Ice, U2, Creed, Linkin Park and Guns N' Roses.

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Originally posted by Frigid
when the artists themselves are paid bout low 3 bucks per CD, and the CD itself (+ printing) amounts to another 2 bucks?
$3 a CD? That's heaps compared to what's usual (none if less then 5,000 sold, and miniscule amounts thereafter, in the order of cents, not dollars).

Winston

HSC
There's no need to be scared of Kazza, first of all yes 50% of the users probably work for RIAA, and are watching you but providing you're not sharing files just leeching you're fine, and the fact is most of the music hosted are probably infected by the RIAA intentionally with viruses, and im sure you have downloaded a few mp3's where in the middile it starts playing funny sounds yes thats a new protection built into the music files.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
wait i read something similar to that...ill post it up if i find it.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
Whats this controversy we have all been hearing in the news in the past few months about weather kazaa is being montored by any federal or other piracy agencies. Well think again! Yes, thats right. If you ever have used Kazaa well here is a good news for you that your IP, host name, isp, and anything you ever downloaded was saved on a log and sent to a agency that is montorig your connection, most likely your isp, in this case it was FastTrack. Now how do you believe me if that is really happening? Well we did a little experiment for outselves to check it out. I downloaded a Motion Picture (Name Removed) from Kazaa lite and then a few days later we get a e-mail from the ISP of the person who performed this test for us, saying how we broke the AUP of the ISP and that we should take matters into our hands.

The company supposibly reported it to our ISP was Universal City Studios Productions LLLP. This is a little bit of information on what they had to say to the ISP.
The company supposibly reported it to our ISP was Universal City Studios Productions LLLP. This is a little bit of information on what they had to say to the ISP.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has come to our attention that <> Services is the service provider for the IP address listed below, from which unauthorized copying and distribution (downloading, uploading, file serving, file "swapping" or other similar activities) of Universal?s motion picture(s) listed below is taking place. We believe that the Internet access of the user engaging in this infringement is provided by <> or a downstream service provider who purchases this connectivity from <>.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats a little part of the e-mail that was sent to the ISP from Univsersal Studios. When we were first notified about this we were in a little bit of shock our selves too because, we always heard that Kazaa is safe and this is that.

Here is a little part of the rest of the e-mail containing the part where the persons information was stored that was sent to the ISP.

Quote:

Title: << REMOVED >>
Infringement Source: FastTrack
Initial Infringement Timestamp: 18 May 2003 09:48:36 GMT
Recent Infringment Timestamp: 18 May 2003 09:48:36 GMT
Infringer Username: << REMOVED >>
Infringing Filename: << REMOVED >>
Infringing Filesize: 710539264
Infringers IP Address: << REMOVED >>
Infringers DNS Name: N/A
Infringing URL: << REMOVED >>

Well there you have it. A little bit of information on how the Kazaa story really works. We are still in the process of trying to talk to the ISP. We will let you know if we have any updates.

Winston

HSC
Yep, well obviously i think napster was true blue clean for music it was a nice music sharing client, not with all these new ones it's bloatware with lots of ads and spyware built in which is very very stupid, and now we get monitored with what we download is more stupid since when was internet privacy not taken seriously, i mean look at what the RIAA is doing now, and with America being the leader with passing new laws that prohibit us from doing what we want to do online, it's almost as if Internet Propoganda is arising, well that's just my opinion.

Rahul

Dead Member
i have been getting a few mp3's with screeching kind of sounds half way thru them....so annoying :p

i have never shared files over kazzaa. slows my downloads down too much.

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
but providing you're not sharing files just leeching you're fine
Umm... You mean you haven't realised this is exactly what the RIAA wants?

They can't stop everyone by lawsuits, but if they sue the sharers, other people stop sharing and go back to straight leeching.

How do you leech when there's noone to leech off?

(Rahul: Umm... So, you take, but you don't give? Like the morals, there.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)