• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Screening for HIV, Hep B & Hep C (1 Viewer)

D30417995

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know if the screening test for HIV, Hepatitis B & C has to be done on our own before enrolment or if it is provided free of charge by the school of medicine?

For those who are already in med school, do you still remember how much you paid to have the test done (particularly in Victoria)?

Thanks a lot folks! :)

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
quite sure you have to pay for it yourself

these things are supposed to be done yourself before your clinical (you can do it sometime during the year, preferably before enrolment)

D30417995

HSC
N/A
Bob.J said:
these things are supposed to be done yourself before your clinical (you can do it sometime during the year, preferably before enrolment)
Before clinical? I thought it has to be done before/during first year....

Do you know how much the test would normally cost in Australia? I'm interested in knowing as I might be able to have the test done in Hong Kong at a cheaper price.

Thanks!

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
oh yeah... like i mean they let us interview patients etc whilst some were still having their injections

they want it done in first year if you havent done it but i think you must have it done before your proper placement in hospital (I think)

im not too sure on the price. There's a few injections to take i think. Last time i remember they were about $15. I may be wrong, could be $30 or so

D30417995

HSC
N/A
Wow, $30 or so? That's a great bargain! Is that the price for Australian citizens and PR's? I'll be studying there as an int'l student...:(

The cheapest I can find in HK would still charge for approx. HKD900 (~ AUD155)!!!

sigh.....

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
ok
im probably wrong
i never paid for it when i did mine (parents paid a looong time ago)

so probably for something else

i think you should do it in australia with your gp, in case you need another followup

EDIT: oh... i missed the int'l part. I guess you should get them done now in HK, they dont overcharge in aus if you're not a citizen.

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
our school did it at the attached medical practice...

i did mine before i went.. cos well if u find a positive result.. u can deal with it.. b4 med school

sadly u may hav to reconsider certain aspects if u have a condition.. ..

D30417995

HSC
N/A
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
our school did it at the attached medical practice...

i did mine before i went.. cos well if u find a positive result.. u can deal with it.. b4 med school

sadly u may hav to reconsider certain aspects if u have a condition.. ..
Do you know how much the clinic attached to your school charges?

I'm quite sure the result will be negative.:)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
At UWA you do them during or (preferrably) before first year. Screening for varicella, rubella and hepatitis b were provided free by the school. Treatment for varicella and rubella were provided free, but the three-stage course of injections for hepatitis b immunisation (which I had to undergo) were only subsidised, and students pay $15 per injection (so $45 all up). Tuberculosis screening (Mantoux) was carried out free at the Perth Chest Clinic - we had to go ourselves but the year reps were expected to arrange group visits (which they did).

Some medical schools do it all for you, others tell you to do it all yourself, and yet others give you the option or provide some subsidies like above.

salubrious

HSC
N/A
do med students get slightly sick from having so many immunisations at once.
i'm a bit worried as i'm starting med next year and never had any immunisations my whole life??

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
At Newcastle, our Hep B's are $10 each.

As for getting sick, OT's get all (I think?) the same immunisations as you guys...I picked up a slight cold after having my first round of Hep B, but that was purely a coincidence. You probably won't have them all in one go, because certain things can't be given within a certain amount of time of other things (eg, some things have to wait until after your Mantoux test), but you'll be fine!! (although you may begin to feel like a pin cushion!!)

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
salubrious said:
do med students get slightly sick from having so many immunisations at once.
i'm a bit worried as i'm starting med next year and never had any immunisations my whole life??
if you havent taken hardly any of the injections then you basically become a pin cushion for the 1st sem

just go around and slap everyone on the arm "howya doin'?"

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
for unsw we had to arrange a time (from a list of times) to go to the infectious diseases outpatient clinic at prince of wales hospital, most people did it in 1st semester. we just had to dig up all the vaccination records we could find to bring in for that interview, and then have any necessary immunisations done on the spot plus a blood test for blood borne viruses. i don't recall having to pay for anything...

i wouldn't worry about having too many immunisations at once (they may even suggest you stagger them) but then again there aren't too many people going around who've never had any (herd immunity.. you'll learn about it i guess). you'll be fine though :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm I used to be afraid of needles when I was a kid, but sometime during high school I just stopped caring.

Then when I started donating blood, and they stuck the big bubble tea needle in, I knew I was invincible.

salubrious

HSC
N/A
thanks guys. that is somewhat relieving. i wasn't made a part of the herd immunity thing... my parents didn't believe in immunisations (for me at least).
by the way, mervvyn, do you know anyone other med student or anyone who needs a roommate or would be interested in getting an apartment in randwick (or surrounding areas). i plan to move to nsw mid feb??

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Lets clear up some things..

herd immunity isnt tat.. its where u hav immunity because a high proportion of a community has immunisation and hence no reservoirs to be 'stored' in..
but in humans its really only true of smallpox and polio... where ure more likely to get them from certain forms of the vaccine than a 'wild' infection

actualli being from asia is a risk factor for Hep B.. due to high numbers of ppl infected in asia ..its endemic.. with some ppl they got it and its not active atm.. so they show no symptoms (chronic Hepatitis B infection).. and may not show any till they are in their 40-60's or if their immune system drops.. but they are infectious.. very infectious.. 10000% that of HIV infectivity

normally they do a test to see what you have immunity to before they shot u up.. or its a real waste of the Hep B shots.. its available as a dual vaccine now.. with Hep A i think?..

hahah@ bubble tea needles.. (14 gauge reminds me of it.. but mabbe its cos i hate needles..)

interesting tale: i recall there was research done into US medical practitioners immunity .. and lots of them were immune/exposed to certain virus that they were never aware of... lik not a full blown sickness ("subclinical").. just from patient and hospital contact :)

Last edited:

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
i was loose with my use of the term herd immunity, i confess (forgive me!). i guess what i was getting at is that if enough people are immunised, the odds of an unimmunised person bumping into someone with the disease at an infectious stage is low.

i must be ignorant, especially as i've given blood, but what do you guys mean by bubble tea needles?

salubrious, i don't know of anyone who is looking for a roommate off the top of my head, but if you are wanting to move close to unsw, there is the unsw housing office to point you in the right direction. i don't know the website but you should be able to find it in the unsw webpages somewhere. If you live within a reasonable distance of the uni (which i guess you don't because you want to move out) there are noticeboards on the basser steps packed with ads looking for housemates. But start with the housing office.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Bubble tea needle is a term my buddy Elvin made up to describe the 16 gauge needle they stuck into my arm when I donated. It looks like the big, pointy straws they use for bubble tea (and sounds better than "big fuckoff needle").

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
More importantly, what the hell is bubble tea?!

Haha, I don't even feel blood tests any more coz I'm so used of the massive mofo's that they use at the bloodbank!!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm I know this won't sound politically correct, but you are very white. :p

It's the "pearl milk tea" you see asians buying from places like Easy Way et al, with the big black balls in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)