• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

super-crazy dilemma (1 Viewer)

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
ok... so i got an offer into IT at UWS (70.00)...

but i want to do Architecture at UTS (88.00)...

i have heard it is easier to transfer between universities rather than to get into one from the outside...

my question is, is it easier to;

1) do one year of IT and then transfer to Arch

or

2) do two years of TAFE (architecture) then apply for the architecture degree

AND, which option would i have to get higher marks (eg credit/distinction averages)

PLEASE HELP!!!

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
1. It's not necessarily easier to transfer externally because the process is done by the UAC and it takes into account your UAI and uni results.

2. If you can be guarenteed to get into Archi after 2 years at Tafe, then do that.

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
i see,

so UAC would also take into account my TAFE results if i was to go down that route?

is it possible to be 'guranteed' to get into architecture by doing and completing TAFE?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I'm not sure if UAC would take your TAFE marks into account. But usually TAFE has some system which should allow you into uni, after studying their courses for a while.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
If you are transferring internally do they still take account of your UAI?

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
i dont believe they do..

ill do the TAFE option only if i can be guaranteed (or largely assured) that i can get a place in B.Arch..

anyway thanks, ill give tafe a call in the morning

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
RR, some unis such as Macq have an internal transfer system. However USyd and UNSW, among others don't.

reynaldo, the best advice I can give is do research. And don't expect them to be of much use over the phone. :p

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
If you are transferring internally do they still take account of your UAI?
For most Law degrees I know they do still look at UAIs, cos they get ALOT of people wanting to transfer and even if they have awesome marks, there are still limited places....

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
What do you mean UNSW/USYD don't?

You saying you can't transfer from one course to another within UNSW ?

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
ok a little research...

"insearch" ... its a pathway program to get into UTS.. im still trying to find out more but does anyone know if you do an insearch diploma does that mean you automatically get into your chosen course (in my case, architecture) when you finish the diploma?

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
Originally posted by reynaldo
ok a little research...

"insearch" ... its a pathway program to get into UTS.. im still trying to find out more but does anyone know if you do an insearch diploma does that mean you automatically get into your chosen course (in my case, architecture) when you finish the diploma?
if you pass everything yes, if you fail no

David27

Only UTS can tell you that.
One thing they say is whatever course you choose, make sure you are willing to complete that particular course because there is no guarrantee that you'll get to transfer. Transfers are very competitive. You don't want to be left leaving the first degree and having a failure record.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
What do you mean UNSW/USYD don't?

You saying you can't transfer from one course to another within UNSW ?

They don't have an "Internal" transfer system. They have an External system under UAC, so they can transfer from one course to another, but via UAC.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
well yeah read my pm reynaldo

i'll just say again that it's better to do the tafe course in architecture as, ultimately, if you want to become an architect at least you're learning something that you'll find interesting, rather than doing IT for one or two years which you'll not enjoy cos you're just doing it to transfer.

worse comes to worse, after you finish your tafe degree and you don't get in, get a job in the architecture industry. keep applying each year, and every year you've got more and more relevant experience and they will accept you i guarantee (well not guarantee but yeah)

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
if your going to take the tafe option, its best to ring up or go see the appropiate people to discuss your options with. they will know best.

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by sukiyaki
if you pass everything yes, if you fail no
apparently i only need a UAI of 50 to apply for the Architectual insearch program...

that seems very strange because it seems very easy to get into the architecture degree that way... perhaps the $5000 p/semester you have to fork out comes into equation there :D

But the insearch thing looks very interesting. The architecture course is only 31 weeks.. which is good because i want to get into the degree asap.

does anyone know if doing insearch will absolutely GUARANTEE me a place in Arts in Architecture (as long as i maintaing a an average over 60 as it says)?

dieselboi

Reynaldo, if you don't know the answer yet...

The insearch programme at UTS does not guarantee you placement into the architecture course, you have to get an average over 65% and also you have undergo the same criteria as non-school leavers applying for a place in the course.

If you are willing to pay for it ($$ not cheap) and you will work your arse off then i say 'go for it', otherwise tafe and work experience would be your best bet!

best of luck man

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)