• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

wot r my chances of 100? (1 Viewer)

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
whoa... does dat mean if anyone accidently and inadvertently f... up their ext majorly... their uai may well go up or down by a lot... i mean if 1.5 marks=0.05 then if say somebody really stuffs up an ecos essay and get say 10/20 thats wot... 0.35 down and say if they f... up a coupla maths ext 1 questions in the last coupla sections... their uai'll drop by at least 1.00... is dis right?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Only if they're already in the 99 - 100 range... it takes a bit more to change your position if you're lower than that.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
question...2 actually

1. after comparing walla's ranks to my own, i invariably cannot help feeling that ceteris paribus (other things being equal), i would have been much better off going to some local high school and topping everything. no?

2. wots the difference between lazseeker and uaiseeker? is the calculation method actually different (new and improved?), or have the scaling stats juz been updated?

thnx guys

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
Re: going to some local high school
a) my school is not a local high school
b) think about the difference in teaching quality - I think you would find that much more influential than ranks.

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
i dont think theres a diff in teaching qualities... cos teachers all get paid the same and they can only go places bos tells them to go... so which school teachers end up depends purely on luck... though this is only for public education

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
i wasn't referring to ur school specifically - certainly not trying to diss ur efforts or nething :)
juz that at a local, top everything is pretty much guaranteed for u or me

re b) i know, which is why i said other things being equal. and i guess competition drives u sometimes - though im well self-motivated so that should'nt be too much of a problem.

but yeah, of course it would'nt be the same . im not saying i regret going to sbhs. its a fantastic school, the best in sydney in my *unbiased :D* opinion

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
Yes exactly - that's why there is a difference in teaching quality between those in state schools and those at private schools like mine who are selected on their ability to pass a football.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
Originally posted by walla
b) think about the difference in teaching quality - I think you would find that much more influential than ranks.
lol...u would be surprised at how crap some of the teachers at my school are :p don't get me started on the english dept!

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
Hahahah yeah english teaching standards seem pretty universal, don't they?

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
Originally posted by walla
Yes exactly - that's why there is a difference in teaching quality between those in state schools and those at private schools like mine who are selected on their ability to pass a football.

i take it u don't like ur teachers then?

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
We've got a couple of guns, but they are the exceptions. The whole environment, considering its a couple of weeks before the hsc, is a joke.

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
walla... u will not believe how much shit theres going up in sbhs english dep... its bloody amazing...
u got... rigging... teachers flirting (in their 50s)... n theres a very plausible theory that they just shove all the papers in a bin and pick out each one in order to decide which one gets a better mark...

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
alll deps up there xcept... classics maths n social science...
esp classics and social science... they're all legends in there...
n yes i do have personal exp with the eng dep... i can run a documentary on corruption in dere... prolly 2hrs long

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
man stop bitching bt ur phys prac...
heres the hard facts... even if u did well it wasn't gona b in ur top 10 units newai...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)