• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Applause for the gayest student name at all time... (2 Viewers)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
How's it gay? It's a proper acronym, it's easy to say, it's a unisex name, etc... SAM is a great name.
Cos it reminds me of Surface to Air Missile Silos, and looking at our uni, its very true...that tower next to the library, its a silo *nods* Pointed straight at yerbury's residence i bet!

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
Haha! SAM?

More like $AM.

Or even $(c)AM... the c is silent, you see- you don't know it's there until $100 000 goes missing. ;)

Shit, it's too early to be this creative. Time to go cuddle up next to the chick and listen to the rain pattering on the roof. Fuck I am gay. I'm just gonna go dwell in my own gayness now. Blah blah blah rain pattering on roof. Seriously- could I get any gayer? OMG. Just shoot my faggot ass already.

Last edited:

nikmueller

HSC
Haha! SAM?

More like $AM.

Or even $(c)AM... the c is silent, you see- you don't know it's there until $100 000 goes missing. ;)
first meeting of U@MQ is next friday. kegs is right, it's a holding company. it used to be called Macquarie University Union Limited (MUUL).

the issue i've got with it being called "Students at Macquarie" is that it still sounds like some sort of student representative organisation. Most people think SAM is a union. Even the SMH called it a student union.

students can have say in how this organisation is run by
  • talking through the student representative on univerisity council (me)
  • purchasing power
  • and (hopefully) a student council (you if you get elected)

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
Cos it reminds me of Surface to Air Missile Silos, and looking at our uni, its very true...that tower next to the library, its a silo *nods* Pointed straight at yerbury's residence i bet!
Dude, everyone knows that's where they have the Eva, for when MQ, USYD, UNSW, and UTS do battle!

nick said:
first meeting of U@MQ is next friday. kegs is right, it's a holding company. it used to be called Macquarie University Union Limited (MUUL).

the issue i've got with it being called "Students at Macquarie" is that it still sounds like some sort of student representative organisation. Most people think SAM is a union. Even the SMH called it a student union.

students can have say in how this organisation is run by
  • talking through the student representative on univerisity council (me)
  • purchasing power
  • and (hopefully) a student council (you if you get elected)
What do you mean by purchasing power? I've really never understood that term. =/

nikmueller

HSC
purchasing power is just the idea that if you don't like something, you don't buy it. if you want it and they don't have it, you ask them to get it. if they don't change what they stock then you go elsewhere.

so this is the way that change is caused by shoppers.

does it work? sometimes i guess.

HSC
N/A
a while back some friends and I were having that discussion in relation to VSU. They were pissed that they had to pay fees for stuff they might never use (eg sports), whereas people like me didn't mind because what I didn't use, someone else would, and vice versa. My friends wished they had the option of electing what things to pay for (I think that's the way things work out now though?).

X

xeuyrawp

nikmueller said:
purchasing power is just the idea that if you don't like something, you don't buy it. if you want it and they don't have it, you ask them to get it. if they don't change what they stock then you go elsewhere.

so this is the way that change is caused by shoppers.

does it work? sometimes i guess.
Ah that makes sense.

Thanks. :)

nikmueller

HSC
WHat's the point of this pointless student unionz hierarchy @ macquarie? It annoys moi.
we don't actually have a student union. U@MQ is a business and the university is its only stakeholder.

HSC
N/A
nikmueller said:
we don't actually have a student union. U@MQ is a business and the university is its only stakeholder.
That scares me.

This means putting a LOT of faith in the uni to ensure all those union services stay in place, right? Not that I use much other than the subsidised food, but I like knowing that I can appeal marks and stuff :(

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
glitterfairy said:
That scares me.

This means putting a LOT of faith in the uni to ensure all those union services stay in place, right? Not that I use much other than the subsidised food, but I like knowing that I can appeal marks and stuff :(
To be fair, we haven't had a 'real' union for quite a while. The reason why Victor Ma was so successful was because of the shambles of student politics and representation prior to him. (from what I read, all the way back to the early 90s).

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
Unions are just a waste of time and resources anyway. Hooray for VSU!

http://www.brookesnews.com/072105unions.html

[Yes- it concerns trade unions, a bit different to student unions... and it's not the best article on this topic but it's one of the easiest to read.]

If you have any arguments against my reasoning, I strongly urge you to read more about it until such time that you agree with me. If, after doing this, you still do not agree with me, please refer all your arguments to my left foot.

X

xeuyrawp

Luke! said:
Unions are just a waste of time and resources anyway. Hooray for VSU!
Hahahah. I remember hearing someone say (I won't name her) that VSU was the reason that student life at MQ is the way it is. Hahhaha... *wipes tear*

HSC
N/A
shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup! You know I meant student life, not Student Life :p

although in reality vsu didn't really have that much of an effect on MQ, so it was a void statement to begin with, I guess.

X

xeuyrawp

glitterfairy said:
shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup! You know I meant student life, not Student Life :p
....?

You haven't said 'student life' once in this thread, m'dear.:confused:

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
....?

You haven't said 'student life' once in this thread, m'dear.:confused:
so we're not talking about one of the random chats we had at uni? Oh ok :)

I thought you were making fun of something stupid I said again :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)