• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Applause for the gayest student name at all time... (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

... U@MQ

'Hi, where you guys going for lunch?'
'Oh, we thought we'd just head to yoo-at-em-kyu, wanna come with?'

*applause*

X

xeuyrawp

This message is sent by Val Warren authorised by Paul Bowler, Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Chief Operating Officer

Dear staff and students

Macquarie University's new student organisation, which will be known as U@MQ, will soon be operational. There are still some legal processes to be finalised, but in the meantime as far as student services at Macquarie are concerned, it is business as usual.

This means that SAM food and beverage outlets will continue to operate; your SAM card is still valid and you can still purchase cards if you don't already have one; all sporting, clubs and societies' activities will still be offered.

Service such as legal aid, migration services and academic advice will be provided by offices of the University. Students needing these services should approach the Support Services Office on Level 2 of the Lincoln Building.

Before outlining how the new U@MQ organisation will operate, it is worthwhile revisiting the events that have led to where we are now.

Background

Compulsory contributions by students to support services and activities provided by student organisations on campus ceased with VSU legislation. This meant that student organisations have lost significant revenue.

In order to protect the services and facilities for students, Macquarie University will make a financial contribution to ensure they continue to flourish.

However, if Macquarie University is to heavily subsidise many of the services formerly provided by the three organisations – SAM, Macquarie University Sport and Recreation (MUSR) and the Students' Council (MUSC) – they will have to operate under an accountable and transparent structure. The University is creating a new service company which will take responsibility for the activities, assets and staff of the existing organisations.

Events of recent weeks, in which evidence came to light of financial and fiduciary mismanagement by some SAM and MUSC student Board members, led to the removal of a number of student office bearers from their positions and the liquidation of SAM, Venues At Macquarie, and MUSC to protect student fees from further exploitation.

This mismanagement highlighted the need to create a transparent and accountable student organisation that properly represents the needs of students rather than the self-interests of elected officials.

The new organisation – U@MQ

The new company, U@MQ, will be wholly owned by the University, its major financial contributor, and therefore fully accountable to the NSW Auditor-General. It will be a not-for-profit company, with all of the funds generated, as well as all of the savings made by combining the previous student organisations, put back into the new organisation for the benefit of all Macquarie students.

U@MQ will preserve the important services of the past, maintain a degree of independence for student involvement in the direction of student affairs, while preserving a structure that will be efficiently managed by a Board of appropriate stakeholders and with a majority of University appointees. This Board will operate to protect the interests of students and the University, as principal stakeholders, in the delivery of these important student services.

In practice, it is expected that the activities and services of MUSR and SAM will continue at the outset in the same way as they are operating at present. It will be for the Board to establish the strategic directions of the new company and its constituent services, acting on advice from its senior managers and on student input. The new Board will be given the task of designing appropriate measures for consultation with the University community and for creating opportunities for student representation in the new organisation.

The Board

The Board of U@MQ is currently being established as a legal entity. It will comprise:

Mr Paul Bowler, Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Chief Operating Officer (Chair)
Dr Brian Spencer, Registrar and Vice-Principal
Ms Deidre Anderson, CEO of MUSR
Mr Anthony Matis, CEO of SAM
Mr Michael Wall, District Registrar, NSW Registrar of the Federal Court of Australia (external member)
Ms Denise Osmand, Director, Financial Services (Council appointee)
Mr Robert Tongue, Deputy Director, Financial Services (Council appointee)
Mr Nicholas Mueller, student member of the University Council.

No Director will receive remuneration for their Board duties, and the company's constitution will prohibit the payment of dividends.

Some students have expressed concern about the level of student representation in the new organisation. I would like to emphasise that the establishment of U@MQ does not mean the end of student advocacy on campus and it does not mean the end of the student voice. The future success of U@MQ will depend on how well it listens to the needs of Macquarie students, so student input is essential.

In addition to the student-elected member of Council who will sit on the U@MQ Board, it is expected that the organisation will have a number of active groups that will be formed to make a contribution to particular student service areas – such as sport, business development, food and beverage services, and support of clubs and societies. The active groups will provide the input to U@MQ that it needs to be successful and to provide a much-needed link from the Board back to the student body.

The Board will determine the most appropriate manner in which to organise these groups and students will be advised of ways they can become involved in U@MQ. One suggestion already being considered is to invite students to self-nominate for selection by a Nominations Committee of the Board.

The launch of U@MQ

The process of launching U@MQ will be managed by Project Manager Richard Kerr. His contact details are richard.kerr@musr.mq.edu.au

Keeping you informed

This outlines the situation as it stands today. I will keep you updated as significant developments in the establishment of U@MQ occur. Thank you for your continued support, input and patience. I can assure you that as a result of this action, student services at Macquarie will be second to none.

Paul Bowler

Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Chief Operating Officer

Chair, U@MQ

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
you both hate it that much? i don't mind it. i won't be using it because it's too hard to say but it's ok to look at if that makes any sense!
i don't use 'sam building' anyway because people always ask for clarification.

HSC
N/A
ewwwww

'sam' was both easily pronouncable, and cute. This new thing is just so wrong and 'hey, I think this is really hip and funky, I'm sure the kids will love it". eww eww eww

Kegs

HSC
Sam will still exist as a branding. The umbrella coporation that will control everything, including all that is currently in SAM's domain MUSR and what was MUSC, will be called U@MQ. So it is unlikely that any of the branding will be change to U@MQ. They will just be incharge of finances and distributing it to SAM, MUSR and any other organisations that fall under their jurisdiction (wrong word, methinks).

HSC
N/A
God I hope so, because even thinking about having to say "U@MQ" in real life makes me want to change plans and graduate from uni asap. eww eww eww.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Kegs said:
Sam will still exist as a branding. The umbrella coporation that will control everything, including all that is currently in SAM's domain MUSR and what was MUSC, will be called U@MQ. So it is unlikely that any of the branding will be change to U@MQ. They will just be incharge of finances and distributing it to SAM, MUSR and any other organisations that fall under their jurisdiction (wrong word, methinks).
I for one am pleased that our funds are no longer being squandered

touma88

HSC
Kegs said:
I thought MUSR was some freakn music society..........shows how much i kno about my uni

Kegs

HSC
There is no music society, as far as I am aware. And yes, you are an idiot. Please take a ticket and que with the rest of us.

X

xeuyrawp

Kegs said:
Yet students and staff should still be saying the name.

And lol at forgetting the word 'organisation' in the thread title.

Kegs

HSC
You are on fire with the spelling tonight. Left out a word and put in the wrong one. Bam! Clamp him!

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
Okay. I'm confused.
When they say "U@MQ"... do they mean Me @ MQ... are are they talking about You @ MQ or Us @ MQ or even Him or Her @ MQ? I'm at a loss here, who is actually "@ MQ"?

And on a serious note, could they have picked a shittier name?
Why don't they call it the Victor Ma appreciation society?

HSC
N/A
LOL at Him & Her @ MQ.

I can so see colour-coded seats in the same building. Blue for boys, pink for girls, that sort of thing...

X

xeuyrawp

glitterfairy said:
LOL at Him & Her @ MQ.

I can so see colour-coded seats in the same building. Blue for boys, pink for girls, that sort of thing...
And all the queers sitting at the wrong seats?

'We dun lyke to label ourthelves - we thit where we want to thit.'

X

xeuyrawp

HotShot said:
SAM is the gayest name ever - too bad they arent changing it..
How's it gay? It's a proper acronym, it's easy to say, it's a unisex name, etc... SAM is a great name.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)