• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Cronulla Beach Incident (1 Viewer)

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
erawamai said:
..because its not factually correct. It's like saying white kids don't do as well as asian kids in the HSC because they are stupid.

Just because it isn't factual doesn't make it racist. Perhaps, more to the point, reglion has nothing to do with race. Moreover, Back in the early 90's it wasn't odd to claim all terrorists were Irish.

aaaman

Banned
HSC
erawamai said:
..because its not factually correct. It's like saying white kids don't do as well as asian kids in the HSC because they are stupid.
but its true

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
erawamai said:
Isn't it like saying that all white people are intolerent and simple? You don't think that's a racist assumption?

No, it's an unsubstantiated generalisation based on a few people.

However, to be the same as 'all muslims are terrorists', it would not be 'white people are all intolerant and simple', rather it would be all intolerant and simple people are white. It's very different.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
White Rabbit said:
Perhaps, more to the point, reglion has nothing to do with race.
rabbit said:
Moreover, Back in the early 90's it wasn't odd to claim all terrorists were Irish.
I wouldn't call that kind of assessment, no matter what time period it is, as accurate or appropriate. Mainly because not all terrorists are irish.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
aaaman said:
but its true

Haha, nah aussie kids just dont think the HSC is the be all and end all. Then again, lots of asians I know don't give a shit about the HSC.

Ok, I know 2.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
erawamai said:
I wouldn't call that kind of assessment, no matter what time period it is, as accurate or appropriate. Mainly because not all terrorists are irish.

No, but people said all terrorists were Irish during the height of the IRA - or, atleast all terrorists where Catholic Irishmen.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying it happened without much thought.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
White Rabbit said:
However, to be the same as 'all muslims are terrorists', it would not be 'white people are all intolerant and simple', rather it would be all intolerant and simple people are white. It's very different.
'all intolerant and simple people are white'

'white people are all intolerant'

The difference is that the first quote tends to suggest that only white people are intolerent. Where the 2nd one suggests that white people are intolerent but doesn't really suggest whether non white people are tolerent or intolerent.

I'd still suggest that 'all muslims are terrorists' is not the most accurate way to describe the situation. Mainly because not all terrorists are muslim and you don't have to be a muslim to be a terrorist.

aaaman

Banned
HSC
White Rabbit said:
Haha, nah aussie kids just dont think the HSC is the be all and end all. Then again, lots of asians I know don't give a shit about the HSC.

Ok, I know 2.

no in da shire

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
White Rabbit said:
Well don't you feel that it is wrong to say 'The reason why White kids do not do as well as asian kids at the HSC is because they are not as intelligent and are unable to apply themselves to the task at hand. In essence they are more concerned with having fun than with learning and responsbility'.

Is the above phrase not racist for it's racial assumptions?

sly fly

HSC
White Rabbit said:
I love your username, it always remined me of Sly Fox at newtown. I love that pub.

But that aside, the statment isn't racist at all.

And HipHop, Hahahaha! Can't top that :p
Lol thanks

The statement in itself isn't racist, but it seems to have been made as a result of racism

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
erawamai said:
Well don't you feel that it is wrong to say 'The reason why White kids do not do as well as asian kids at the HSC is because they are not as intelligent and are unable toapply themselves to the task at hand'.

If thats the way you see it, it's your view.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
White Rabbit said:
If thats the way you see it, it's your view.
So you have no problem with that view? (not mine) You would let it fly even though its is incorrect and is laced with negative racial stereotypes of white people?

aaaman

Banned
HSC
This is the thread that doesnt end...it goes on and on my friends

Some randoms starting typing about this issue

and it keeps going as it is the thread that doesnt end ..................................

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
aaaman said:
This is the thread that doesnt end...it goes on and on my friends

Some randoms starting typing about this issue

and it keeps going as it is the thread that doesnt end ..................................

shutup

now something pretty big is supposed to happen thurs night, fri night, sat night and something major on sun night eh?

damn thats fucked.

sly fly

HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
shutup

now something pretty big is supposed to happen thurs night, fri night, sat night and something major on sun night eh?

damn thats fucked.
how do u know, and what exactly is supposed to happen?

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
erawamai said:
Well don't you feel that it is wrong to say 'The reason why White kids do not do as well as asian kids at the HSC is because they are not as intelligent and are unable to apply themselves to the task at hand. In essence they are more concerned with having fun than with learning and responsbility'.

Is the above phrase not racist for it's racial assumptions?

Asian kids do well because their culture places more emphasise on the relationship between hard work and intelligence. Whereas, with white kids, from Western cultures, their culture holds the belief that intelligence is related more to genes 'either you are smart or you aren't' type ideologies.

Asian kids work harder = more success in the HSC etc.

of course, this is a general statement about cultural beliefs but it was a major study in anthropology.

anyway, back to the riots.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)